[BCNnet] Action Alert re IL Legislative mess that impacts us directly

Randi Doeker - Chicago rbdoeker at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 15:40:52 CDT 2005

In August a law went to effect in Illinois that removed vital protections for birders and other
outdoor sports/hobbyists.  Except hunters: They got stronger protection.

The direct consequence of this is that everyone from the farmers in central IL to the Fermilab
officials may prohibit birding, biking, fishing, etc. on their property. All of the private
landowners who let bike trails go through their land will be thinking twice.

You can thank the trial lawyers association for this.  And YOU can do something to restore your
ability to bird on private property.

Details:  For more than 40 years Illinois law has encouraged private landowners to make their land
available for outdoor recreation. To do this, the landowners, land trusts, corporations, etc.,
received liability protection. So if you tripped over a corn stalk while out in the farmer's field
looking for a Smith's Longspur, for example, you could not sue the farmer.

Now you can - thanks to Public Act 94-0625.  (This whole mess started with a similar lawsuit about
sledding in someone's backyard so don't discount the possibility.)

The legislature changed the law to provide liability protection for only "hunting and shooting."

It probably was not the original intent.  Legislative action was needed but, in the end, only two
interest groups (i.e., lobbyists) were active in the discussions - the NRA and the lawyers.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Contact your state legislators right away:  http://www.illinois.gov/government/gov_legislature.cfm

This legislation can be changed in the upcoming "veto" session (--which is not limited to vetoed
bills); it happens in the next two weeks.  Most legislators were probably clueless about the impact
of their vote and they won't know it matters to anyone until you tell them.  A phone call or a
quick note is OK.  You don't need to explain why it is important, just that it is important to you.
Just tell them to restore "liability protection for recreational and conservation purposes."

Get your friends and neighbors to call too. The legislation either gets changed before the first
week in November or we have to wait until next spring to start again.

BIRDING LOBBYIST

If you can donate to fund a lobbyist in Springfield, stay tuned.  BCN and FOTFP belong to the
Partners for Parks and Wildlife, which uses professional lobbyists.  I am getting the details on
how we can encourage their efforts on our behalf.

Randi Doeker

Chicago