[BCNnet] Bad weather and Lights ON in Chicago Sunday nt- request for assistance

Robbie Hunsinger redstart1 at earthlink.net
Sun May 8 22:32:16 CDT 2005

Dear BCN members,
We have had a weekend of major buildings with lights on, extremely heavy
migration and now thunderstorms are in the
forecast for 3am overnight.

This is the worst possible combination for migratory birds. Hopefully the
storms will not come.

If any of you are going into the downtown area, please take brown paper
sacks with you if possible and pick up any injured birds,
place them in sacks and call our hotline.

773 988 1867

It is voicemail but someone is alerted as soon as you leave a message and
will call you right back.

We do have teams out in the morning but not many people and this could be a
very bad situation. We could really use extra help from anyone downtown.
We have no one near the Hancock that I know of at this point for example and
it is one of the buildings that has been lit.

Hopefully the T storms will not hit the birds overnight and push them into
our buildings but it is very possible that this could happen.

Please keep a look out for birds through the day tomorrow and call our
hotline for assistance.

Note that we now have learned that freshly stunned birds can appear
identical to dead birds so please do not assume a bird is a goner if it is
on its back etc.
Please go ahead and put it in a paper bag if you are unsure and call for
advice.
Many of these extreme looking injuries are treatable given some time.

Thank you for your help tomorrow!

I will be on the phone with management first thing tomorrow about the
lights.

Robbie

Robbie Hunsinger

redstart1 at earthlink.net