[BCNnet] warm grassland thoughts for a snowy day

Judy Pollock bobolnk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 21 10:02:00 CST 2005

Especially for grassland bird enthusiasts, bird club trip leaders, and
Grassland Blitzers  -

This year, our Chicago Wilderness Grassland Bird Blitz will take place
between June 10 and June 20, although all data collected between June 3 and
27 will be included.  We're well on the way to our ambitious goal of
counting every grassland bird in the region, to serve as a baseline for
conservation work.  Check out our progress at
http://www.habitatproject.org/default.asp?cid=9  (And enjoy the rest of the
beautiful new Habitat Project website while you're there.)

As you will see, we are thin on results in McHenry and Will Counties, and
the other counties are fairly well covered.  This is our third and final
year of the Blitz and we're reaching out for help to make sure we find -
and count -  every bird.  Might you or someone you know be able to help us
fill in the blanks?

1)  Review the map and let us know which sites we haven't covered
yet.  Email me with the name and county of any site, public or private,
where you  know there are grassland birds that we haven't counted yet, and
I'll pass it along to the team of organizers.  If there is a person who
regularly birds there who might send us a count - or if you'd like to cover
it - let us know that too.

2)  Schedule a club field trip during the Blitz period to a grassland or
two that we need data from.  Again, email me and we can figure out when and
where.

Thanks.

Judy Pollock

Judy Pollock