[BCNnet] Chicago Birds Needing Help Tues/Sat am NO SIGHTINGS

Robbie Hunsinger redstart1 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 24 17:11:52 CDT 2005

Dear Bird Lovers,

The Chicago Bird Collision Monitors are out there rescuing birds and
reducing risks to migratory birds in our city but we still need more help,
especially on Tuesday mornings early and on Saturday mornings early.

The managers have turned their lights out and things are much safer than
they used to be downtown, but still it is a dangerous place for migratory
birds as you all know.

If you might be able to help us monitor for birds early on Tuesday or on
Saturday morning please email us at
info at birdmonitors.net
of call us and leave a message at
773 988 1867

We also really need help with our Hotline position. This is a dispatch
position only and involves checking hotline calls and coordinating rescues
and resources.  We have an excellent list of people downtown that can go out
to get birds and also people that can drive them but we really don¹t have
enough people to cover the calls properly. At this point, one person is ³on
call² nearly all week. It is not sustainable and she is trying to work for a
living!  In this position you will do nothing on a quiet day but may help
coordinate 3 or 4 rescues when things are busy. Mornings are especially
helpful if you are available but anytime would help at this point.

Please contact us if you might be able to help with this job. This is an
opportunity to be involved in rescuing these beautiful birds without leaving
home! We provide training and support.

The other area that we still really need help in is in driving birds out of
the city to midway points near 90 to 53 or 59, or on 290  to 53 or 59. We
especially need help in the mid-morning and early afternoon hours. If you
happen to drive out of the city regularly at these hours,  or if you would
be available to drive out of the city on one day a week even, please contact
us.

Thanks for your assistance. We are also working on organizing some coverage
north of the river but that is not quite going yet. If you are in that area
and want to help please let us know.

And always, please call the Hotline
773 988 1867
if you find a stunned bird.

Please put the bird into a brown paper sack and keep it dark and quiet until
we can help arrange transport.

Thank you and happy birding!

Robbie Hunsinger

redstart1 at earthlink.net