[BCNnet] FPDCC Public Land Use (incl. DFAs)

Birdchris@aol.com Birdchris@aol.com
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:48:01 EST

-------------------------------1074055681

I agree with both Randi and Jill here.

Jill is right that the problem is obviously that the CCFPD needs to overhaul
all of its land use practices and regulations and come into the 21st century.

Randi is right in that the CCFPD just doesn't seem to see the need to do this
and will continue to develop its policies in reaction rather than from an
overarching statement of purpose which is then translated into concrete
regulations, practices and working methods.

The solution is to try to influence the CCFPD on the first point, but not to
lose the battles while you are waiting to win the war. Taking the high ground
on this one likely cause us to lose the battle about dog parks and probably,
the war itself.

I hate the idea of dog parks on public land, but they are coming and unless
we insist and convince the CCFPD that it must develop appropriate practices and
regulations to govern if, when and where dog areas are approved, we will soon
be swamped with these doggie playgrounds.

COS's position is being misinterpreted. Maybe the document I posted up here
is unclear. Suggestions for improvement are welcome, of course.
I boiled down COS's position, below. Hit delete now if you are sick of this
debate as the points aren't short!

Christine Williamson
Chicago/Cook
birdchris@aol.com

COS Dog Area Recommendations  (A Boil Down)

First, COS is NOT in support of dog areas. Rather, if they are going to
happen (and it seems they will), our recommendations are that:

- Commissioners come up with a fair way of evaluating applications that
includes opportunity for public input that is HEARD and HEEDED. Right now, there
are NO controls AT ALL. COS is demanding that Commissioners take control and
that the public be allowed to help them evaluate any proposals;

- that the CCFPD come up with a map of places where dog areas can and can't
be located (to eliminate a lot of argument ahead of time). Staff is in the best
position to draw the map of their own environmentally sensitive areas. This
would include all designated natural areas and their buffers, anything with
water, anywhere endangered species are present (if they come in, the area gets
closed to off-leash dogs), anywhere significant restoration is planned. It is
assumed that the YES areas for dog parks will be small once all the restrictions
we suggest are considered. ALL that's left as a YES are going to be ratty old
corn fields, I think;

- that total acreage of any single dog area is small and that overall acreage
is controlled. If the CCFPD has said in its land management practices doc
that not more than 12% of its properties can be developed, then our suggested
tiny % of total acreage will put a lid on the total amount of dog parks. We doubt
the total suggested will be used;

- we demand enforcement and continued monitoring or the areas would be closed
to off-leash use;

- we demand that dog areas be open to everyone, fenced or not. These are NOT
private use areas in COS's proposal. They would be areas where dogs are
permitted off-leash, but there would be NO restriction on other users at all;

- there is precedent in the CCFPD for specialized use land designations,
contrary to what some are alleging. Model airplane fields, tobaggon slides, pools,
fishing areas, etc. I don't agree with these uses, either, but they all are
MORE restrictive to general use (because you have to pay to use them in most
cases) than the dog areas which under COS's proposal would be open to all CCFPD
users.

Basically, all that COS and hopefully BCN is saying that under certain very
restrictive circumstances, we would not oppose the siting of a dog park. That
cannot be construed as SUPPORT. We've written the recs so restrictively that as
Walter Marcisz astutely pointed out, they actually will act as a deterrent to
establishment of these dog areas. We want the CCFPD commissioners to adopt
these proposals because we think the public process for decision-making, the
strict siting restrictions, and the absolute need for enforcement and monitoring
(which the CCFPD can't afford, anyway), will be a deterrent. And if a dog
group is determined enough to get past all these barriers and THEN has to jump
through a lot of hoops for many years to keep their small dog area viable, it is
extremely unlikely that their dog park will negatively impact birds, humans or
the environment.

Maybe these points and the political strategy are too subtle? However, you
obviously can't baldly state much of the strategy I outlined in the previous
paragraph OUT LOUD in the recommendations we will ask the CCFPD to adopt. OF
COURSE the CCFPD commissioners would balk if we said in the receommendations:
"Here, adopt these principles because we KNOW they will be so restrictive that the
dog people will GO AWAY FOR GOOD!" The dog people would go nuts.

But if you sit back and think about it (and I have, at great length both
before my 16 hours in the car on a recent journey to Duluth and back), the bird
groups  will get what they need (as opposed, perhaps, to what they want) if the
CCFPD Commissioners were to adopt these proposals - few if any dog parks will
be proposed at all; the chance to defeat them if they are proposed; the
ability to get shut down of dog parks that are approved and then don't work out; the
recognition by the CCFPD that birders are thoughtful, logical and
forward-thinking users of the preserves.

If bird groups take a position of blanket opposition to dog groups, I think
we'll lose. And then will have to deal with a bigger mess as these damn dog
areas get proposed all over the place with no controls and no warning. With
experience, I've learned that there are some things you won't be able to stop and
that it's sometimes better to take the offensive by recommending a really
logical way to deal with what seems like an inevitable trend that actually will
discourage it from happening and if it does, will make sure the process is fairer
and the outcome better for birds.

In a message dated 1/10/2004 9:02:52 AM Central Standard Time,