[BCNnet] FPDCC Public Land Use (incl. DFAs)

judymellin judymellin@netzero.net
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:11:27 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_007E_01C3DA7E.6418FEC0

There are so many points to refute here that I hardly know where to =
begin.  Let me start, though, by urging EVERYONE to treat the dog =
supporters with respect.  It is important that we recognize the efforts =
they have put in, even though many of us feel those efforts are =
misdirected.  It is also important to recognize that this is a public =
listserv and, as such, is linked directly to a goggle.com search.  Type =
in Beck Lake Dogs and you'll see a link that leads right back to all the =
discussions we have held on this list. I would be very sure that what I =
posted did not add fuel to the fire.

Now let those of us who understand the total picture be very clear on =
OUR message:  the dog runs are not the focus of our discussion.  We are =
concerned about the use of public land for any private group.  We also =
disagree that the dog runs are a "done deal" as Chris And Randy seem to =
feel.  I also think Jill Anderson's post was misinterpreted even though =
I think her feelings were very clear on this matter. When this =
discussion started in November, thanks to Alan Anderson, Randy kept =
insisting that "the train has left the station."  Well, we have found =
out that, far from that, tickets are still being sold and there is a =
great deal of room for those of us who want to make our feelings known =
to the PECK and the County Commissioners.

I am absolutely flabbergasted by the statement that, "First, COS is NOT =
in support of dog areas."  Gee, I have read and reread the position =
paper and maybe I did not get a complete transmission of it because =
those words certainly never appeared in the copy that I received.  I =
will be happy to go back one more time but I seriously doubt that I will =
find it.  What COS and every other group need to oppose, in my opinion, =
are ANY fences for ANY use on ANY PECK land.=20

I feel that a great deal of time and effort is being wasted by arguing =
over what the dog supporters should and should not have.  Yes, we have =
been discussing the dog runs because this is the topic that brought all =
of this to the fore but it should not be our focus. The focus needs to =
be on the PECK mission statement "to  acquire . and hold lands . for the =
purpose of protecting and preserving the flora, fauna, and  scenic  =
beauties  within  such  district,  and to restore, restock, protect and =
preserve the natural forests and such  lands  together  with their  =
flora  and fauna, as nearly as may be, in their natural state and =
condition, for the purpose of the education, pleasure, and recreation of =
the public."=20

Yes, there are fences on PECK land right now but does that mean that =
others should be added?  If we had been around when those fences went =
up, do you not feel we would have opposed them? If the dog supporters =
are given what they want, who's next? These are the questions that need =
to be addressed, not how many dog runs there will be.

Those of us who are supporting the mission of the PECK will stay on =
message.  It would be nice if the vocal few who are ready to throw in =
the towel would join us.

Judy Mellin=20

----- Original Message -----=20