[BCNnet] From the Sunday Herald

judymellin judymellin@netzero.net
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 11:30:26 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01C42538.8BD7F9C0

 It seems that Cook County is not the only one having problems with land =
usage in its forest preserves.  This letter perfectly describes what =
many of us in Cook County are trying to impress on our commissioners. =
Let's hope that commissioners in all counties listen.

Judy Mellin

Palatine (Cook County) =20

Forest preserve's job is to preserve
I was extremely disappointed in the recent decision of the DuPage County =
Forest Preserve District to support creation of archery practice ranges =
on forest preserve property. And, on a related matter, I also am opposed =
to siting a shooting range on such property. In my view, it is not the =
mandate of the district to provide recreational opportunities beyond =
passive enjoyment of nature, including such benign activities as =
walking, bird-watching, biking on designated trails and outdoor picnics. =
And it is specifically its mandate to preserve and protect those open =
space areas in our county that have been designated to provide needed =
habitat for plants and animals that are endangered by the =
ever-increasing density of development in DuPage County. Also, people =
need those open spaces for relaxation and renewal as the pace of our =
society continues to accelerate.=20

As I understand it, the district voted to support the archery ranges =
with little study and very limited public input, probably related to the =
fact that citizens are able to express their opinions only on Tuesdays =
(at forest preserve commission meetings) during the day when most people =
are working. I also have learned that one of the few people expressing a =
positive opinion at a recent hearing lives in Will County and drives an =
hour to an archery practice site only because he chooses a club in =
Peoria. There are other choices nearby.=20

I thought that separating the forest preserve district from the DuPage =
County Board would mean that the objectives of the district would be =
more vigorously supported and that decision making would be less =
political and more in keeping with the mandate to preserve and protect =
our very limited and rapidly vanishing open spaces. Doesn't look to me =
like there has been any improvement.=20

Mary F. Warren=20

Wheaton=20

------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01C42538.8BD7F9C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<P>&nbsp;It seems that Cook County is not the only one having problems =
with land=20
usage in its forest preserves.&nbsp; This letter perfectly describes =
what many=20
of us in Cook County are trying to impress on our commissioners. Let's =
hope that=20
commissioners in all counties listen.
<P>Judy Mellin
<P>Palatine (Cook County)&nbsp;=20
<P><SPAN class=3Dbriefhead>Forest preserve's job is to =
preserve</SPAN><BR>I was=20
extremely disappointed in the recent decision of the DuPage County =
Forest=20
Preserve District to support creation of archery practice ranges on =
forest=20
preserve property. And, on a related matter, I also am opposed to siting =
a=20
shooting range on such property. In my view, it is not the mandate of =
the=20
district to provide recreational opportunities beyond passive enjoyment =
of=20
nature, including such benign activities as walking, bird-watching, =
biking on=20
designated trails and outdoor picnics. And it is specifically its =
mandate to=20
preserve and protect those open space areas in our county that have been =

designated to provide needed habitat for plants and animals that are =
endangered=20
by the ever-increasing density of development in DuPage County. Also, =
people=20
need those open spaces for relaxation and renewal as the pace of our =
society=20
continues to accelerate.=20
<P>As I understand it, the district voted to support the archery ranges =
with=20
little study and very limited public input, probably related to the fact =
that=20
citizens are able to express their opinions only on Tuesdays (at forest =
preserve=20
commission meetings) during the day when most people are working. I also =
have=20
learned that one of the few people expressing a positive opinion at a =
recent=20
hearing lives in Will County and drives an hour to an archery practice =
site only=20
because he chooses a club in Peoria. There are other choices nearby.=20
<P>I thought that separating the forest preserve district from the =
DuPage County=20
Board would mean that the objectives of the district would be more =
vigorously=20
supported and that decision making would be less political and more in =
keeping=20
with the mandate to preserve and protect our very limited and rapidly =
vanishing=20
open spaces. Doesn't look to me like there has been any improvement.=20
<P>Mary F. Warren=20
<P>Wheaton=20
<P>&nbsp;</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01C42538.8BD7F9C0--