[BCNnet] Dog park issues

judymellin judymellin@netzero.net
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 18:21:51 -0700

I hope that folks at our FPDCC might contact the DuPage folks about the
statement, "What has probably risen most is the number of dog incidents," he
said. "There was a public outcry for more dog training areas, so the
district put them in, and that created additional problems."

It should be valuable to know about the problems so "close to home" as the
evaluation process on possibly expanding these in Cook County goes forward.
Some conservation groups might want to look into this, too, and everyone who
has not written a letter to the commissioners and the FPDCC might want to
think about it.  The evaluation/recommendation is due to the commissioners
in June so time is running short.

Judy Mellin

Subject: FW: Where cops are also outdoor educators

> From Thursday 4/8/04 Tribune (highlighting is mine)
> --------------------
> Where cops are also outdoor educators
> --------------------
>
> New forest ranger chief looks at role
>
> By Lynn Van Matre
> Tribune staff reporter
>
> April 8, 2004
>
> As head of law enforcement for the Illinois Department of Natural
Resources,
> Thomas Wakolbinger oversaw conservation police operations at more than 100
> parks and fish and wildlife areas throughout the state.
>
> Now, the 27-year Department of Natural Resources veteran has narrowed his
> focus to DuPage County, where he recently took over as law enforcement
> director for the DuPage County Forest Preserve District.
>
> "This seemed like a natural move," said Wakolbinger, 50, who retired from
> the state department last year. "When I think about the similarities
between
> the two jobs, I doubt I could find a better fit."
>
> He knows that the public often doesn't have a clear picture of what a
> ranger--whether in state parks or local preserves--does.
>
> "People wonder if they're `real' policemen," he said. "And people often
> don't know they can answer lots of questions about the environment. Every
> contact between ranger police and the public is an opportunity for
> education."
>
> DuPage's more than 60 preserves, which attract 1.5 million visitors
> annually, are patrolled by 25 sworn ranger police officers who carry guns
> and can make arrests.
>
> The district also maintains a program in which trained volunteers patrol
> trails in pairs and report problems or suspicious activity to law
> enforcement. An open house for anyone interested in learning more about
the
> program is scheduled from 9 a.m. until noon Saturday at forest preserve
> headquarters, 3S580 Naperville Rd. in Wheaton.
>
> Last year, officers responded to nearly 5,000 incidents, according to
Ranger