[BCNnet] Urgent e-mail support needed for Fellow Mortals

Robbie Hunsinger redstart1@earthlink.net
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:41:16 -0600

--B_3151996877_847433

Hi everyone,=20
I have a request for e-mail support for Fellow Mortals. It is a
time sensitive situation and if possible e-mails should be sent today and a=
early as possible. Apologies for the urgent nature and immediacy of the
request.

Fellow Mortals has been our main rehab for the Chicago Bird Collision
Monitors and it is under great strain at the moment from the Wisconsin DNR.
This is the rehab that sub-permits me to help birds we find in Chicago.

What is going on has to do with deer but it affects that rehab as a whole.

The DNR is trying to get Fellow Mortals to euthanize  healthy deer that the=
have invested 6 months of time, money and energy into, rehabbing and
preparing them for release into the wild.

DNR wants them euthanized even though there is no sign of Chronic Wasting
Disease.  FM has offered to test at their cost and release or euthanize
pending the outcome. They have offered to track these deer if releasable to
gather info on their subsequent health.

If you can send an e-mail of support for Fellow Mortals today (early if
possible) they will gather these letters and take them to a possible hearin=
today.=20
Sorry for the late notice-

and thanks for any help on this,

Robbie Hunsinger=20
Coordinator Chicago Bird Collision Monitors

I have enclosed a letter from FM and also my sample letter- please don=B9t
copy my letter! but feel free to use it for assistance if needed.

Thanks!

my letter sample

I  am writing in support of the Fellow Mortals Rehabilitation Center. I hav=
worked closely with Yvonne and Steve on many occasions. I am a
sub-permittee
of Fellow Mortals and this rehab has been instrumental in the success of my
program,
the Chicago Bird Collision Monitors, a rescue and conservation program for
migratory birds.

I have had the opportunity to witness the caring, responsible, and above
all,=20
ethical protocols that are followed at Fellow Mortals in dealing with
injured and=20
orphaned wild animals. The wild animals that are lucky enough to reach them
are treated humanely and cared for in a manner consistent with successfully
returning them to the wild.

My understanding is that the deer in question in this case show every
indication of being healthy, and given the amount of time, money and energy
that Fellow Mortals has invested in raising and caring for them, it seems
only fair to allow Fellow Mortals to live test these deer for CWD  and to
allow them to
follow their stated plan pending the results from these tests.  Fellow
Mortal=B9s offer to test at there own expense, release the deer and track
them if healthy ( or keep them in captivity if requested by WDNR),  or
euthanize them if they have CWD, seems more than a
reasonable resolution to this matter.

I hope that the WDNR will weigh the above comments and also the stellar
reputation
of Fellow Mortals in resolving this difficult issue.

Thanks for your consideration,
Robbie Hunsinger
Coordinator, Chicago Bird  Collision Monitors

Request from Fellow Mortals below:

Dear Friends,
    I apologize for the joint e-mail, but time is short.  Since August
14, 2003, we have known that the fawns admitted in 2003 and their foster
mom, Judith, are in danger of being euthanized simply because a deer was
found with CWD elsewhere in Walworth County.
    Judith is three years old now and is a healthy big doe.  All five
fawns raised by her this summer are healthy and healed:  1 is from
Milwaukee; 1 is from Kenosha; 3 are from Walworth County.
    The foster mother is held with permission from the WDNR and the fawn
were taken from the public--referred by the WDNR--as authorized under
our rehabilitation permit.  Walworth County was not part of the CWD
"danger" zone from which deer could not be rehabilitated.
    On August 14, 2003, the day we were first advised that we would no
longer be able to rehabilitate fawn from Walworth County--meaning even
if you find a healthy orphaned fawn next year, it will have to be
destroyed--we had six deer which had already been rehabilitated and
which would have been released back to the wild--in the same way that we
have been rehabilitating and releasing deer back to the wild for the
last 14 years.  Since that date, we have been in discussions with the
WDNR asking:
    1.    To be allowed to use a live test using a tonsil biopsy which
would determine whether or not the deer have CWD;
    2.    To be allowed to release the deer, if not CWD-infected or to
be allowed to keep the deer in captivity, if release isn't an option.
 and stating that:
    If any of the deer are found to be CWD infected using a live-test,
we agree to euthanize all the deer, as we are concerned about the health
of the wild deer population in the state of Wisconsin.
    As of today's date, November 17, 2003, we have not been ordered to
destroy the deer, but we have been told to prepare ourselves to "set a
date."
    Tomorrow, November 18, 2003, WDNR is holding a public hearing in
Walworth County to solicit public input on the control and surveillance
of CWD in this county.  This is one of several meetings being held by
the WDNR across the state relating to this issue.  We would like to be
able to have some input at that hearing, using your comments.
    You have all played an important part in Fellow Mortals' mission and
development, which is why we are coming to you and asking that you take
the time to:
    Please e-mail us with a statement of support of Fellow Mortals' work
and asking that the deer's lives be spared to allow for live-testing and
permanent placement if release is not an option.
    Judith and her fawns were brought to Fellow Mortals for care by
people just like you.  Only people like you can make sure their
compassion and the fawns' and Judith's lives are not wasted.
    Thank you for your time and help,
Your friends at Fellow Mortals, Inc.

--B_3151996877_847433

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Urgent e-mail support needed for Fellow Mortals</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Palatino">Hi everyone, <BR>
I have a request for e-mail support for Fellow Mortals. It is a <BR>
time sensitive situation and if possible e-mails should be sent today and a=
s <BR>
early as possible. Apologies for the urgent nature and immediacy of the <BR=

request.<BR>
<BR>
Fellow Mortals has been our main rehab for the Chicago Bird Collision <BR>
Monitors and it is under great strain at the moment from the Wisconsin DNR.=
 <BR>
This is the rehab that sub-permits me to help birds we find in Chicago.<BR>
<BR>
What is going on has to do with deer but it affects that rehab as a whole.<=

<BR>
The DNR is trying to get Fellow Mortals to euthanize &nbsp;healthy deer tha=
t they <BR>
have invested 6 months of time, money and energy into, rehabbing and <BR>
preparing them for release into the wild.<BR>
<BR>
DNR wants them euthanized even though there is no sign of Chronic Wasting <=

Disease. &nbsp;FM has offered to test at their cost and release or euthaniz=
e <BR>
pending the outcome. They have offered to track these deer if releasable to=
 <BR>
gather info on their subsequent health.<BR>
<BR>
If you can send an e-mail of support for Fellow Mortals today (early if <BR=

possible) they will gather these letters and take them to a possible hearin=
g today. <BR>
Sorry for the late notice-<BR>
<BR>
and thanks for any help on this,<BR>
<BR>
Robbie Hunsinger <BR>
Coordinator Chicago Bird Collision Monitors<BR>
<BR>
I have enclosed a letter from FM and also my sample letter- please don&#821=
7;t <BR>
copy my letter! but feel free to use it for assistance if needed.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks!<BR>
<BR>
my letter sample<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%">I &nbsp;am writing in support of the =
Fellow Mortals Rehabilitation Center. I have <BR>
worked closely with Yvonne and Steve on many occasions. I am a &nbsp;sub-pe=
rmittee<BR>
of Fellow Mortals and this rehab has been instrumental in the success of my=
 program,<BR>
the Chicago Bird Collision Monitors, a rescue and conservation program for =
migratory birds.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
I have had the opportunity to witness the caring, responsible, and above al=
l, <BR>
ethical protocols that are followed at Fellow Mortals in dealing with injur=
ed and <BR>
orphaned wild animals. The wild animals that are lucky enough to reach them=
 <BR>
are treated humanely and cared for in a manner consistent with successfully=
 <BR>
returning them to the wild.<BR>
<BR>
My understanding is that the deer in question in this case show every <BR>
indication of being healthy, and given the amount of time, money and energy=
 <BR>
that Fellow Mortals has invested in raising and caring for them, it seems <=

only fair to allow Fellow Mortals to live test these deer for CWD &nbsp;and=
 to allow them to<BR>
follow their stated plan pending the results from these tests. &nbsp;Fellow=
 <BR>
Mortal&#8217;s offer to test at there own expense, release the deer and tra=
ck <BR>
them if healthy ( or keep them in captivity if requested by WDNR), &nbsp;or=
 <BR>
euthanize them if they have CWD, seems more than a <BR>
reasonable resolution to this matter.<BR>
<BR>
I hope that the WDNR will weigh the above comments and also the stellar rep=
utation<BR>
of Fellow Mortals in resolving this difficult issue.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for your consideration,<BR>
Robbie Hunsinger<BR>
Coordinator, Chicago Bird &nbsp;Collision Monitors<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Request from Fellow Mortals below:<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"><BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT>Dear Friends,<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I apologize for the joint e-mail, but time is short=
. &nbsp;Since August<BR>
14, 2003, we have known that the fawns admitted in 2003 and their foster<BR=

mom, Judith, are in danger of being euthanized simply because a deer was<BR=

found with CWD elsewhere in Walworth County.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Judith is three years old now and is a healthy big =
doe. &nbsp;All five<BR>
fawns raised by her this summer are healthy and healed: &nbsp;1 is from<BR>
Milwaukee; 1 is from Kenosha; 3 are from Walworth County.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The foster mother is held with permission from the =
WDNR and the fawn<BR>
were taken from the public--referred by the WDNR--as authorized under<BR>
our rehabilitation permit. &nbsp;Walworth County was not part of the CWD<BR=

&quot;danger&quot; zone from which deer could not be rehabilitated.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;On August 14, 2003, the day we were first advised t=
hat we would no<BR>
longer be able to rehabilitate fawn from Walworth County--meaning even<BR>
if you find a healthy orphaned fawn next year, it will have to be<BR>
destroyed--we had six deer which had already been rehabilitated and<BR>
which would have been released back to the wild--in the same way that we<BR=

have been rehabilitating and releasing deer back to the wild for the<BR>
last 14 years. &nbsp;Since that date, we have been in discussions with the<=

WDNR asking:<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;To be allowed to use a live te=
st using a tonsil biopsy which<BR>
would determine whether or not the deer have CWD;<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;To be allowed to release the d=
eer, if not CWD-infected or to<BR>
be allowed to keep the deer in captivity, if release isn't an option.<BR>
&nbsp;and stating that:<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If any of the deer are found to be CWD infected usi=
ng a live-test,<BR>
we agree to euthanize all the deer, as we are concerned about the health<BR=

of the wild deer population in the state of Wisconsin.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;As of today's date, November 17, 2003, we have not =
been ordered to<BR>
destroy the deer, but we have been told to prepare ourselves to &quot;set a=
<BR>
date.&quot;<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Tomorrow, November 18, 2003, WDNR is holding a publ=
ic hearing in<BR>
Walworth County to solicit public input on the control and surveillance<BR>
of CWD in this county. &nbsp;This is one of several meetings being held by<=

the WDNR across the state relating to this issue. &nbsp;We would like to be=
<BR>
able to have some input at that hearing, using your comments.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;You have all played an important part in Fellow Mor=
tals' mission and<BR>
development, which is why we are coming to you and asking that you take<BR>
the time to:<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Please e-mail us with a statement of support of Fel=
low Mortals' work<BR>
and asking that the deer's lives be spared to allow for live-testing and<BR=

permanent placement if release is not an option.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Judith and her fawns were brought to Fellow Mortals=
 for care by<BR>
people just like you. &nbsp;Only people like you can make sure their<BR>
compassion and the fawns' and Judith's lives are not wasted.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Thank you for your time and help,<BR>
Your friends at Fellow Mortals, Inc.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</TT></FONT>
</BODY>