[BCNnet] fencing FP areas; questions and important article

Alan Anderson casresearch@comcast.net
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 15:30:36 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C3A60D.41CF5BC0

The accompanying article (see below) was in the latest issue of the Des =
Plaines Times, and possibly other local Pioneer Press papers.   It is =
important to read it to understand the current situation with regard to =
area forest preserves and dog areas.   Please understand that I am not =
opposed to dog areas in general.   What I don't fully understand, and =
really do worry about, it that this both sets a dangerous precedent for =
other groups (it might be the dog groups now, but it could be other =
groups later also) to ask for set aside forest preserve areas for the =
use of a particular group, and keeps those outside the paying group from =
using that area of the forest preserve.  =20

three areas of questions to think about (my concerns - but if others =
don't have the same concerns, maybe I am missing something and didn't =
worry):

1)  how far might this go?  how many other groups will ask for forest =
preserve areas to be set aside (fenced in and only 'those paying' can =
get in) and when/where would it end?   I certainly believe that this =
will not end with just the Beck Lake and Thatcher area dog groups.    =
The Beck Lake group is at its permit level (3OO or 500?) already so you =
know that there are many dog owners  who might want a separate set-aside =
area in the forest preserves, and maybe additional groups (not dog =
owners but other groups) that might want a similar area in the future.   =
  And where?  the Beck Lake dog area  includes a pond, a creek and =
adjacent wetlands - will wetlands always be the desired spot?  =20

2)  if they want to "co-exist" with others, then why are all others kept =
out of this area - a public forest preserve?

3)  I doubt it would be good to discuss all of the issues/concerns =
involved with them at their Nov. 18th meeting, but would it be ok to =
suggest that a few Cook County Commissioners and members of Thatcher Dog =
get together with reps from BCN to discuss the issues/concerns in the =
future?    I certainly don't want to get into a shouting match or =
arguments with them (as those who know me certainly understand), but I =
do wish they (especially the commissioners) would see some overall =
concerns that I and others might have about 'fencing' in areas of our =
forest preserves, and keeping others out.=20

Right now I have concerns about the issues and really would want to talk =
to others who are sincere and willing to work together on this overall =
situation.   If others don't feel it could get out of control, or won't =
lead to "I want mine too", please say so.    I'm unsure just how =
important others feel these issues are.   If no one else but Judy and I =
are concerned, then maybe I really am worrying too much about it.   If =
the commissioners are for these proposals have they looked at some of =
these concerns or questions and determined that they won't be a problem? =
  =20

I guess I need to call Mike Quigley's office too, to get his opinion.  =20

anyhow, the article in question is below.   It is filled with many =
important facts and history.

Alan Anderson, casresearch@comcast.net , Des Plaines

----- Original Message -----=20