[BCNnet] birding at HE DTA - friendly, co-exist; at Beck Lake? - Pay up!

judymellin judymellin@netzero.net
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 08:03:30 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0055_01C3A5CE.CC6F5440

I agree with Alan on this issue.  He and I have birded the dog training =
area in Hoffman Estates with no problems or conflict with the "dog =
folks."  It is open to all who choose to come with the caveat that dogs =
are supreme here.

I think that the establishment of a dog training area with a fee would =
not serve any purpose.  Dogs- even those that run loose- would not be =
banned from other areas or preserves so why would this be done?  There =
are certainly not enough FPD police to monitor these activities and who =
would know if the owners were carrying licenses? =20

I was charged by two rottweilers at the Poplar Creek Forest Preserve a =
couple of years ago while their owner watched.  Would a license have =
prevented this?  No, because the owner was violating the leash law so he =
would never have observed a license law. =20

If we begin carving up our already degraded preserves for special =
interest groups, where will it end?  Who will be responsible for being =
sure that these areas are maintained for dogs?  Who will clean up after =
them? =20

The FPD was established to preserve public land for public use.  =
Establishing licensed areas would, in my opinion, be the first step in =
eroding that mandate.

Judy Mellin
Bird Monitor
Poplar Creek Prairie Stewards