[BCNnet] birding at HE DTA - friendly, co-exist; at Beck Lake? - Pay up!

Alan Anderson casresearch@comcast.net
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 22:27:21 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C3A4B5.2527B160

Funny thing about the timing of this request for information. I had just =
birded at Beck Lake on October 27th, and reported my bird sightings to =
IBET.=20

What I didn't report was that there was a fence around areas that I =
birded in the past. This includes the area where the current Dog Area is =
at Beck Lake FP, and the proposed enlarged area.

Some of the habitat inside the fenced in area includes grassland, woods, =
a pond and other wetlands, including a cattail marsh. Last fall I had a =
few snipe in those marshes, as well as sparrows, wrens and other birds =
etc. I would've liked to go check those areas out again this fall, but =
couldn't of course since it was fenced in.

I contacted the Cook County Forest Preserve District afterwards to find =
out if I could still enter this area just to go birding there. Yesterday =
I found out that I couldn't - I would have to pay the $50 fee to join =
the dog group to be able to enter. (I don't know if you HAVE to own a =
dog to join the group, but since I do own a dog, that point is moot*).

Of course this area is not just now closed to birders, but to those who =
might want to observe dragonflies, butterflies, herps or plants inside =
the fenced area also.

Ever since the Breeding Bird Atlas began in 1985, one of my favorite =
birding areas in the summer has been the Dog Training Area in Hoffman =
Estates. This area is a large forest preserve with a variety of =
habitats, including woods, grassland, large cattail marsh, shrubland and =
other wetlands. This is of course an area where many dog-owners go to =
walk and train their dogs. I have been there many times when people are =
there with there dogs, and birders (I've led many trips there too) and =
dog-owners are always friendly and cordial to each other, and we each =
'do our own thing'. There is no fee (or fenced in area) here.

There are other forest preserves with areas for dog training, and other =
forest preserves (such as at Busse Woods, Deer Grove and north of Bartel =
Grasslands) have areas for model airplane flying. But the difference in =
these areas, as compared to the new fenced in area at Beck Lake, is that =
all the others are not fenced in, and open to all to use (just stay away =
from the area closest to where the planes are flying) or walk in and =
around. At Beck, now an area is totally closed to all but those who pay =
the $50 fee.

Something is wrong here. I haven't heard of any legal challenges yet, so =
I don't know if this is legal or not, but it certainly doesn't seem =
right to have a 'public' forest preserve that is open to only those who =
pay a yearly fee.

But it certainly opens 'Pandora's door' to other groups who want to use =
part of a forest preserve for their own use. Whether this is fought on =
legal grounds (what do the Sierra Club lawyers say?), in the media, or =
elsewhere, I think we should watch out for situations like this.

Do we have to have all the area birding groups and conservation =
organizations each come up with a proposal to have an area set aside for =
our own personal use for a fee to get the FPD commissioners to see what =
could happen with many other groups 'demanding ours'? I really don't =
think that would work (especially if the FPD sees only dollar signs - =
just kidding!) of course, but how do we get the FPD to see the =
implications - or act?

I would hope that all forest preserve land would remain open to all who =
pay taxes and not certain areas set aside for 'special groups' - not =
even birders. Yes, I'm being a bit selfish here, but so would most of =
us.

I would prefer not seeing the forest preserve areas fenced in, but at =
the very least, the general public should not be kept out of those areas =
unless they have to pay a fee.

That's just my opinion.=20

Alan Anderson

casresearch@comcast.net

Des Plaines

* disclaimer: I do own a dog, and I do take her for walks in area forest =
preserves (Axehead Lake, Northwestern Woods etc.) at times, but always =
on a leash, as that is what the signs say (although making sure she =
doesn't run too far away or have confrontations with other dogs plays a =
role there too).

----- Original Message -----=20