[BCNnet] better habitat coming in DuPage

Sheryl DeVore sheryl.devore@comcast.net
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:04:46 -0800

Robbie and all,

The deer program to which Robbie is referring is at the City of Highland
Park. However, from what I know of the program, and the reason it was begun,
I must disagree that it is a preferred and less costly method than marksman
shooting. (That issue is writen about extensively by Pioneer Press where I
work and probalby delved into more than other locasl or city newspaper.)  I
still believe (perhaps I'm the only one out there anymore) that marksman
shooting to cull the deer is still the best way to handle ecosystem
management today and the most humane way as well.

As an aside, they are neutering deer in Highland Park is not so much because
they care about the native ecosystems, but because folks don't like the deer
munching on their non-native tulips and such.

Don't you think those deer are  tramautized when trapped and neutered?  And,
what will be the repercussions of all this down the road?  If males mate
with neutered deer, and find that young are not being produced, will that
bring in a new herd of "fertile" deer into the "unwanted territory"?  The
trap and neuter program is just another attempt to assuage animal rights
activists without really solving the problem of overdevelopment, lost
habitat and misused land.

OK, I'm ready for the deluge of disagreements now. Bring 'em on.

Best wishes to all,
Sheryl De Vore
Mundelein, Il
sheryl.devore@comcast.net