[BCNnet] better habitat coming in DuPage

Robbie Hunsinger redstart1@earthlink.net
Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:22:48 -0600

Dear BCN,
A little off topic I know but, I am aware that there was a trial program in
alternative deer control - does anyone know about how this went?

I believe there was a test program for implanting a birth control medication
in female deer ( similar in delivery to the under the skin birth control
medication that came out several years ago for women).

I think they tried the deer birth control project maybe on the North Shore
somewhere -  Heller FP maybe?

It seems like it wouldn't be any more trouble initially, and it would save
lots of time, work hours, and $ in future years (not to mention saving 150
deer from getting shot each year).  Shooting female deer with a tranquilizer
instead of a bullet and implanting the medicine seems highly preferable to
the current approach.

If anyone has any contacts or info on the deer birth control program or
other alternatives I would be very interested.

Thanks,
Robbie