[BCNnet] better habitat coming in DuPage

COszak@aol.com COszak@aol.com
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:47:57 EST

-------------------------------1068245277

In a message dated 11/7/2003 2:25:02 PM Central Standard Time,
redstart1@earthlink.net writes:
I think they tried the deer birth control project maybe on the North Shore
somewhere -  Heller FP maybe?

It seems like it wouldn't be any more trouble initially, and it would save
lots of time, work hours, and $ in future years (not to mention saving 150
deer from getting shot each year).  Shooting female deer with a tranquilizer
instead of a bullet and implanting the medicine seems highly preferable to
the current approach.
I asked one of tha animal ecologists at FPDDC about this a few years ago.
One of the problems with this method is that they can't tell which deer have
been injected and which haven't.  What happens if the same doe gets multiple
injections?  How will they know if they injected the number of deer they think
they need to inject to achieve a stable population?

Chris Oszak

-------------------------------1068245277

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1226" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 11/7/2003 2:25:02 PM Central Standard Time, redstart=
1@earthlink.net writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue=20=
2px solid"><FONT face=3DArial>I think they tried the deer birth control proj=
ect maybe on the North Shore<BR>somewhere -&nbsp; Heller FP maybe?<BR><BR>It=
 seems like it wouldn't be any more trouble initially, and it would save<BR>=
lots of time, work hours, and $ in future years (not to mention saving 150<B=
R>deer from getting shot each year).&nbsp; Shooting female deer with a tranq=
uilizer<BR>instead of a bullet and implanting the medicine seems highly pref=
erable to<BR>the current approach.</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<DIV>I asked one of tha animal ecologists at FPDDC about this a few years ag=
o.&nbsp; One of the problems with this method&nbsp;is that they can't tell w=
hich deer have been injected and which haven't.&nbsp; What happens if the sa=
me doe gets multiple injections?&nbsp; How will they know if they injected t=
he number of deer they think they need to inject to achieve a stable populat=
ion?</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=