[BCNnet] 240 ft radio tower update

Robbie Hunsinger redstart1@earthlink.net
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:37:19 -0500

I was able to speak with the contruction/electrical supervisor for the
tower construction this morning. He was very forthcoming about the
project and said he would be happy to work with me and other bird
conservationists in any way he can.

There are 9 towers under construction now with 11 more on the way. I
don't where the other 11 will be constructed.

They are over the 240 ft  aviation designation and will therefore be
required to have lights. They will have white strobe during the day and
red strobe at night at a not too frequent interval. They will have red
marker lights which don't flash at 120 ft up at night also.

There will thankfully be NO guy wires.

This is the scoop as I know it.  They are required by law to use the
red lights for identification purposes which I think I have read are a
little harder on passerines. They will be under the 400 ft "officially"
dangerous height for night migrating songbirds.

I have to run to a rehab-
I still don't know that I can make the meeting but I thought I would
pass on the new info-

Robbie Hunsinger

Chicago Bird Collision Monitors
http://www.birdmonitors.net