[BCNnet] Waterfall Glen restoration project

BFisher928@aol.com BFisher928@aol.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 23:04:49 EST

--part1_105.2864213b.2b8850e1_boundary

Thanks for your support! We won the battle, but not the war! (see the
comments below my signature for more background on the 'war'.)
The project started Wednesday (another week late because those opposed tried
to get the DuPage County Board to intervene; Forest Preserve District
President Pierotti politely told the county board to back off).
I was there today (Friday) and it looks great. The invasive/alien brush and
trees are being cut and burned (in small piles) right on the spot, no heavy
equipment is being used, and the result is a return to the more open savanna
landscape without any major evidence of disturbance
Those of you who live in DuPage, please call your commissioner and tell them
you support of restoration in general and this project in particular. If you
live in District 3, it's especially important to call Wally Brown, our Dist 3
Commissioner; he voted against the project.
If you haven't already done so (and you live in DuPage), I'd still very much
like to have your name and town to put on my list of restoration supporters.
That list would be put on the record at an appropriate future meeting of the
Commission.
Thanks again for your support.

Regards
Bob Fisher
BFisher928@aol.com
Downers Grove (DuPage county) IL

A person who continues to rail against the project has been out at Waterfall
Glen the last 2 days, videotaping the brush and tree removal process as
'evidence'. Of what, I don't know. This same person continues to look for,
and find, media attention to broadcast his views. The project will take 2
years to complete, as the contractors will be pulling off the site in late
March when they see the 1st evidence that the early spring ephemerals'
emergence has begun. They don't want to disturb these ground plants. I
suspect the opposition will make an attempt to stop the 2nd phase scheduled
for next winter. They may also try to block a planned shrubland restoration
scheduled for the east side of Green Valley this year. I'll keep you posted,
but it is clear those of us who support high quality restoration will have to
speak up again and again to counter those who try to stop it.

--part1_105.2864213b.2b8850e1_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Thanks for your support! We won the battle, but not th=
e war! (see the comments below my signature for more background on the 'war'=
.)<BR>
The project started Wednesday (another week late because those opposed tried=
 to get the DuPage County Board to intervene; Forest Preserve District Presi=
dent Pierotti politely told the county board to back off). <BR>
I was there today (Friday) and it looks great. The invasive/alien brush and=20=
trees are being cut and burned (in small piles) right on the spot, no heavy=20=
equipment is being used, and the result is a return to the more open savanna=
 landscape without any major evidence of disturbance<BR>
Those of you who live in DuPage, please call your commissioner and tell them=
 you support of restoration in general and this project in particular. If yo=
u live in District 3, it's especially important to call Wally Brown, our Dis=
t 3 Commissioner; he voted against the project.<BR>
If you haven't already done so (and you live in DuPage), I'd still very much=
 like to have your name and town to put on my list of restoration supporters=
. That list would be put on the record at an appropriate future meeting of t=
he Commission.<BR>
Thanks again for your support.<BR>
<BR>
Regards<BR>
Bob Fisher<BR>
BFisher928@aol.com<BR>
Downers Grove (DuPage county) IL <BR>
<BR>
A person who continues to rail against the project has been out at Waterfall=
 Glen the last 2 days, videotaping the brush and tree removal process as 'ev=
idence'. Of what, I don't know. This same person continues to look for, and=20=
find, media attention to broadcast his views. The project will take 2 years=20=
to complete, as the contractors will be pulling off the site in late March w=
hen they see the 1st evidence that the early spring ephemerals' emergence ha=
s begun. They don't want to disturb these ground plants. I suspect the oppos=
ition will make an attempt to stop the 2nd phase scheduled for next winter.=20=
They may also try to block a planned shrubland restoration scheduled for the=
 east side of Green Valley this year. I'll keep you posted, but it is clear=20=
those of us who support high quality restoration will have to speak up again=
 and again to counter those who try to stop it.<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_105.2864213b.2b8850e1_boundary--