[BCNnet] Waterfall Glen restoration project

Terry Schilling tsrecord@ripco.com
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:54:18 -0800

It's not really too surprising that this happened. It was presaged by
the fight we've been having in Cook County at North Branch Restoration
Project sites.  We're going into the SEVENTH year of a moratorium on
most work at 4 sites, and we still can't burn at a 5th.

It's the same arguments all over - all trees are good, the "Forest
Preserves" are only for "forests", "Nature will take care of itself",
"restorationists" are only interested in prairies and want to cut down
all the trees - just different people yelling them.

I think one of the biggest problems we as birders have is that many of
us still "buy" into the idea that certain kinds of habitat restoration
are "bad" for birds, without ever taking the long term view. I think we
need to support restoration vocally and get the message out that
restored habitat will eventually be at least as good for birds as
whatever it replaced and probably much better for some of our most
threatened species. We need to acknowledge that birds are just a part of
the whole ecosystem and not somehow separate, and that preserving native
landscapes is a necessary and important activity in itself.

Terry Schilling
--
T/S Recording and tsssystems.com provide full service video, audio and
music production and post for both traditional media and the Web, along