[BCNnet] Re: Jackson Park meeting - additional info

Rumsey@aol.com Rumsey@aol.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:47:56 EDT

--part1_1a3.a2106cc.2adda0bc_boundary

In a message dated 10/15/2002 11:27:48 AM Central Daylight Time,
Rbdoeker@aol.com writes:

> One important datapoint that many seem to be ignoring is that the law
> requires ADA-type of access be incorporated in any public project.  This
> boardwalk is required to meet the law, if nothing else.

Hi, Randi. I disagree with your assessment that this boardwalk is needed for
ADA compliance.  There is nothing about a boardwalk that is particularly
ADA-compliant, and compliance can be achieved in many different ways other
than building a boardwalk. However, I think the major objection of most
birders and JPACers is the location--cutting into established habitat that is
a favored nesting spot for Eastern Kingbirds, Green Herons, a feeding spot
for Great Blues, and "warbler central" in the springtime. Not to mention the
intrusion it creates on the vista from Darrow Bridge. Also not to forget how
irresponsible it is to put human presence too close to nesting areas (I can
picture the kids having contests to see how close they can toss their soda
bottles at the wood ducks).

I suspect if the boardwalk were on the WEST side of Wooded Island, there
wouldn't be nearly as much opposition and furor over it. Remember this is the
exact area where people were coming in from all over Chicago to view the
prothonotary warbler a year ago! I suspect there will be a LOT of agitated
people at tonight's meeting!

George Rumsey
(another Hyde Park bird watcher!)
www.hydepark.org

--part1_1a3.a2106cc.2adda0bc_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 10/15/2002 11:27:48 AM Central Daylight Time, Rbdoeker@aol.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="News Gothic MT" LANG="0"><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">One important datapoint that many seem to be ignoring is that the law requires ADA-type of access be incorporated in any public project.&nbsp; This boardwalk is required to meet the law, if nothing else.&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="News Gothic MT" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
Hi, Randi. I disagree with your assessment that this boardwalk is needed for ADA compliance.&nbsp; There is nothing about a boardwalk that is particularly ADA-compliant, and compliance can be achieved in many different ways other than building a boardwalk. However, I think the major objection of most birders and JPACers is the location--cutting into established habitat that is a favored nesting spot for Eastern Kingbirds, Green Herons, a feeding spot for Great Blues, and "warbler central" in the springtime. Not to mention the intrusion it creates on the vista from Darrow Bridge. Also not to forget how irresponsible it is to put human presence too close to nesting areas (I can picture the kids having contests to see how close they can toss their soda bottles at the wood ducks).<BR>
<BR>
I suspect if the boardwalk were on the WEST side of Wooded Island, there wouldn't be nearly as much opposition and furor over it. Remember this is the exact area where people were coming in from all over Chicago to view the prothonotary warbler a year ago! I suspect there will be a LOT of agitated people at tonight's meeting!<BR>
<BR>
George Rumsey<BR>
(another Hyde Park bird watcher!)<BR>
www.hydepark.org</FONT></HTML>