[BCNnet] Re: Jackson Park meeting - additional info

Rbdoeker@aol.com Rbdoeker@aol.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:25:46 EDT

--part1_16f.15988fb8.2add9b8a_boundary

Just a heads-up for anyone going to the JPAC meeting --

I just talked to the park district planner who has worked on the lagoon
project.  What is being built is very similar to what was presented at the
August JPAC meeting.  Economics have caused some changes but it should still
resemble the lagoon boardwalk in Gompers Park.

One important datapoint that many seem to be ignoring is that the law
requires ADA-type of access be incorporated in any public project.  This
boardwalk is required to meet the law, if nothing else.   (This is the final
phase of the project, thus the access requirement can't be delayed.)

Randi Doeker
Chicago

In a message dated 10/14/02 10:21:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
bobolnk@ix.netcom.com writes:

> The Jackson Park Advisory Council has just learned that a boardwalk and
> observation area is planned for the Jackson Park lagoon near Wooded Island.
> Ross Peters, who has seen the plan, Doug Anderson, and others, have
> serious concerns that the placement of this observation platform in the
> shallows near an overgrown island would cover the very habitat that
> attracts the birds (herons, etc.) that would be the best object for
> viewing.  It would come very close to the only island that has not been
> cleared and replanted, and while these replanted islands will be great
> habitat in a few years, right now the best habitat is on this overgrown
> island.
>
> This may be the only chance for birder input into this plan.  Please attend
> the Jackson Park Advisory Council meeting Tuesday - tomorrow - at 7:30 at
> 6401 S. Stony to view the plan and offer comments.
>

> Judy Pollock
> Evanston (Cook)
> bobolnk@ix.netcom.com

--part1_16f.15988fb8.2add9b8a_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  COLOR="#000080" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="News Gothic MT" LANG="0"><BR>
Just a heads-up for anyone going to the JPAC meeting --<BR>
<BR>
I just talked to the park district planner who has worked on the lagoon project.&nbsp; What is being built is very similar to what was presented at the August JPAC meeting.&nbsp; Economics have caused some changes but it should still resemble the lagoon boardwalk in Gompers Park.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
One important datapoint that many seem to be ignoring is that the law requires ADA-type of access be incorporated in any public project.&nbsp; This boardwalk is required to meet the law, if nothing else.&nbsp;&nbsp; (This is the final phase of the project, thus the access requirement can't be delayed.)<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Randi Doeker<BR>
Chicago<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
In a message dated 10/14/02 10:21:00 AM Central Daylight Time, bobolnk@ix.netcom.com writes:<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
The Jackson Park Advisory Council has just learned that a boardwalk and<BR>
observation area is planned for the Jackson Park lagoon near Wooded Island.<BR>
Ross Peters, who has seen the plan, Doug Anderson, and others, have<BR>
serious concerns that the placement of this observation platform in the<BR>
shallows near an overgrown island would cover the very habitat that<BR>
attracts the birds (herons, etc.) that would be the best object for<BR>
viewing.&nbsp; It would come very close to the only island that has not been<BR>
cleared and replanted, and while these replanted islands will be great<BR>
habitat in a few years, right now the best habitat is on this overgrown<BR>
island.<BR>
<BR>
This may be the only chance for birder input into this plan.&nbsp; Please attend<BR>
the Jackson Park Advisory Council meeting Tuesday - tomorrow - at 7:30 at<BR>
6401 S. Stony to view the plan and offer comments.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Judy Pollock<BR>
Evanston (Cook)<BR>
bobolnk@ix.netcom.com<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="News Gothic MT" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_16f.15988fb8.2add9b8a_boundary--