[BCNnet] BCNnet: Alderman Shiller's position on dogs on Montrose Beach

Birdchris@aol.com Birdchris@aol.com
Tue, 14 May 2002 22:07:28 EDT

I expect this will be the last Montrose Beach posting for a while, until we
get definitive news, but I was asked by Alderman Shiller's office to provide
more information to birders about her position about dogs on Montrose Beach.

The Alderman only supports dog use of Montrose Beach during the winter
off-season from November to March, the same position taken by the city-based
bird clubs and the BCN and its other member clubs. You'll see that from the
letter to the dog owners, below, that her aide asked me to post up to IBET. I
clarified with Maggie Marystone that "off-season" means "winter." Since
shorebirds are not present during the winter, the bird clubs are not opposed
to dogs using the beach then. During migration, dogs should not be present on
the beach.

Note that Alderman Shiller put a further caveat on dog use at Montrose Beach
- that it be temporary. In her letter, she said "The idea(l) situation would
be to find an area elsewhere on the lakefront that could be specifically
designated for dogs all year round. In the meantime, I could support a very
limited designation of a portion of Montrose Beach during specific hours
during the off-season."

As 46th Ward residents, Geoff Williamson, Bob Hughes and I met Alderman
Shiller last year to present the birders' position about dogs on Montrose
Beach. We are all very pleased that she accepted our advice on this issue and
was responsive to her constituents and the wider birding community.

Our understanding of the city's dog beach ordinance is that if the Alderman
does not agree to dog beach status, it will not happen. After so many calls
and emails (Alderman Shiller's aide said she received too many emails to
count), we hope that the Chicago Park District will drop its proposal for
evening summer hours for dog use on Montrose Beach and permit dogs to be
present only during the winter..

Thanks again so much for letting your opinion be known about dogs on Montrose
Beach.

Christine Williamson
Chicago/Cook
birdchris@aol.com

Date:   5/14/02 10:36AM
Subject:    Dogs on Montrose Beach

Chris,

Per our conversation this morning, here is the text of the letter Ald.
Shiller gave to Mondog regarding their proposal to allow dogs on Montrose
Beach.  Please feel free to post her letter on your website/listserv.  I hope
this will help to clarify Ald. Shiller's postion.  I have omitted Ms.
Batchelder's home address from the letter.  As always, people should feel
free to call, stop by or email our office should they have further questions,
comments or concerns.

Take care,

Maggie Marystone
Asst. to Ald. Shiller
46th Ward Community Service Office
4544 N. Broadway
Chicago IL 60640
773.878.4646
ward46@cityofchicago.org

April 2, 2002

Brett Batchelder
MonDog
Chicago IL

Dear Ms. Batchelder,

I am writing regarding MonDog's proposal to have Montrose Beach designated as
a dog friendly beach.  I agree that there should be an area on Chicago's
lakefront where dog owners can exercise their dogs off-leash.  The idea
situation would be to find an area elsewhere on the lakefront that could be
specifically designated for dogs all year round.

In the meantime, I could support a very limited designation of a portion of
Montrose Beach during specific hours during the off-season.  A snow fence or
other barrier should cordon off the restricted area, and any dogs off leash
outside this area should be strictly prohibited.  Furthermore, dog owners
should be responsible for cleaning up after their dogs.  I also recommend
that the Chicago Park District agree to clean the beach at least twice a day.
 I expect that MonDog will continue to monitor and educate the users of
Montrose Beach.  This should be on a pilot basis before determining any
long-term policy.

If you have any questions, please contact my office at 773.878.4646.

Sincerely,

Helen Shiller
Alderman, 46th Ward