[BCNnet] BCNnet: Many thanks for calls on Montrose Beach

Birdchris@aol.com Birdchris@aol.com
Tue, 14 May 2002 23:08:00 EDT

Many many thanks from COS and the BCN for all your calls and emails to
Chicago public officials regarding keeping Montrose Beach dog-free during
shorebird migration from April to November. Your contact with Chicago
decision-makers has definitely been noticed!

BCN member groups, including the three city-based bird clubs -  COS, CAS and
Fort Dearborn Audubon - have not opposed recreational dog use of Montrose
Beach in the winter from Nov. 1 to Mar. 31. But during the spring, summer and
fall, dogs shouldn't be present on the one beach on the north side that
shorebirds regularly use.

If you didn't contact Alderman Shiller, Mayor Daley or Superintendent Doig
and need the contact details again, please let me know.

Many people from all over the state made their voices heard and and we hope
for a positive impact. We've been told that police enforcement of the law
that prohibits dogs on the beach has been more rigorously enforced and
tickets have been issued, which is great news, too.

Thanks very much again for working to keep shorebirds safe on Montrose Beach.

Christine Williamson
Chicago/Cook
birdchris@aol.com