[BCNnet] Montrose Point UPDATE

Vanhaaften, Mary mary.vanhaaften@chicagoparkdistrict.com
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:59:28 -0500

MONTROSE POINT BIRD SANCTUARY IMPROVEMENTS UPDATE

Dear Birders:

The new tree, shrub and perennial plantings at Montrose Point are
establishing well, however, due to hot weather and lack of moisture, the
grass pathways have not successfully germinated in several areas.  These
areas have been reseeded, but need more time to establish.  As a result,
Montrose Point will remain closed and fenced until April 13, 2002.

We recognize that many of you have been very patiently waiting for the
sanctuary to re-open and will be disappointed with the delay; however,
please continue to be patient during this critical establishment period and
enjoy the sanctuary from outside the fence.  The extended closure will
result in better bird habitat, and I'm certain the birds won't mind...

On Saturday, October 20 at 8:00am, the Chicago Park District will conduct a
sneak preview tour.  Then join us again in April to celebrate spring
migration, removal of the chain link fence, and the opening of Montrose
Point Bird Sanctuary.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION AND PATIENCE.

I have provided a link to a photo of the new stone bird bath inside the
sanctuary.  Yesterday, as I was checking on the plantings, an olivey looking
warbler with a dark eye stripe was enjoying the 'mini falls'.

Link to photo:
http://www.iit.edu/~cos/BCN/photos/montrose_bird_bath.jpg

Mary Van Haaften
Natural Areas Manager