Undergraduate Advising Goals:
- Build a relationship with each student via her/his faculty advisor
- Provide advice during 2-week advising period (course plan, IIT services,
career path, etc.)
- Enable advised ECE students to enroll in classes as soon as tiered
Requirements for Students:
- Submit list of desired courses when scheduling appointment
- Meet in person with Advisor for 15 minute advising appointment
- Be prompt and prepared for appointment (see curriculum sheets, detailed
course descriptions, and links to Registrar's Policies & Procedures below)
- Register for courses agreed upon during appointment
Requirements for Faculty:
- Set aside sufficient meeting slots for advisees during two-week advising
- Be available for appointments scheduled at least 24 hours in advance
via Google Calendar
- Discuss student issues (degree program, other university offices,
graduate school, careers)
- Document advising appointment in DegreeWorks; provide referral to ECE
Department for specific advising issues; provide Alternate PIN (to be posted
at beginning of two-week advising/pre-registration period on my.iit.edu
under Teaching tab)
Announcement Email to all ECE Undergraduates:
Referral to the ECE Department:
- Advising Referral Issues -
specific issues that must be referred to the ECE Department, or another
office, following an Advising Appointment
Advising Procedure for Students:
If you cannot find an open appointment on your Advisor's calendar,
then please send an email to ECE Program Coordinator, Ms. Bonnie Dow
firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by her
office, room 120 Siegel Hall. She will try to schedule an appointment with
ECE Associate Chair, Prof. Saniie.
- Create a desired list of courses based on the most recent ECE
Curriculum Sheets, DegreeWorks and the Detailed Course Descriptions below.
- Create a desired schedule based on the "Class Schedule
Search" application provided by the Registrar. The Registrar plans to
post the upcoming course schedule on the first day of the advising /
- Determine your Advisor via the my.iit.edu
Academics tab (Academic Profile channel).
- Sign-up for a 15 minute Advising Appointment with your Advisor via the
Calendar Advising Appointment page.
- Appointments must be made at least 24 hours in advance.
- Click on your Advisor's name.
- Choose a Date and Time.
- Fill out the Description textbox with your Student ID and desired list
- Discuss your course selections and any other advising issues with your
- Following your advising appointment, your Advisor will provide your
Alternate PIN and record the outcome of the meeting in the Notes section
of your DegreeWorks record.
- If you need to follow up on an item listed in the Advising Referral
Issues document above, then your Advisor will refer you to ECE Program
Coordinator, Ms. Bonnie Dow, or another office, for further assistance.
Curriculum Sheets (last revised Fall 2014):
Note: 7 Dec 2012 - ECE Faculty approved the following list of first-year
Science Elective courses (choose one): BIOL105/107, BIOL114/115, CHEM126, MS201
Curriculum Flow Charts:
Detailed Undergraduate Course Descriptions:
Links to Additional Resources:
Updated 22 Oct 2015
Send comments and corrections to flueck at iit dot edu.