[BCNnet] BCN Give Back to Birds — Field Trip and Workday-10/30/10

pjbruchman at comcast.net pjbruchman at comcast.net
Thu Sep 9 20:02:24 CDT 2010

Exciting Birds—Great People—Rewarding Work—Beautiful Landscapes

Save the date!

Give Back to Birds — Field Trip and Workday
Hennepin & Hopper Lakes
Hennepin, Illinois
October 30, 2010
9:15am - 10:30am: Bird Walk
10:30am: Snack
10:45am - 12:45pm: Workday
12:45pm: Brown Bag Lunch

The Bird Conservation Network is sponsoring its fifth Give Back to the
Birds—Field Trip/Workday at Hennepin and Hopper Lakes, an Illinois Important
Bird Area, located in Hennepin near the bend of the
Illinois River — about a 2-2½ hour drive from the Chicago area. Partners at this
unique habitat restoration project on this site have turned off the drainage
pumps to return floodplain farmland to wetland.
We will learn about the project from a site ecologist, and enjoy the wide array
of waterfowl and other wetland birds (a spotting scope would be helpful.)
After the morning bird walk, we will enjoy a complimentary snack before we begin
to collect seeds in the prairie. These seeds will be spread in other grasslands
at the site at a later date, to create a good turf to fight invasives that
degrade habitat. As our regular participants have often said, collecting seeds
is very enjoyable and rewarding work.
This Saturday trip/workday will take place rain or shine. People of all ages
will be able to find a way to help. Dress in layers, with sturdy shoes.
Bring a sack lunch if you would like to picnic after the workday. Goodies for
dessert will be provided!

BCN would like to know how many to plan for. Please RSVP to Joan Bruchman at
pjbruchman at ... or 847-687-3108. Also let Joan know if you would like to be
part of a carpool.

Directions to Hennepin and Hopper Lakes:
I-80 west to I-39 south. Take I -39 south to Route 71 exit; head west. Take
Route 71 west to Route 26; turn left towards Hennepin. Go approximately 2.5
miles south. Turn right onto Hennepin Farms Road (paved road before the road
swings up the hill.) Pass the first house on the right, then turn right onto a
sand road. Follow sand road approximately 300 ft. to parking lot and Nolan
Observation Tower.

Give Back to Birds is a series of "work and birding" trips sponsored by the Bird
Conservation Network. The purposes: Fellowship and camaraderie among our bird
conservation and birding communities. Helping out some sites that have
conservation needs. And seeing some great birds and beautiful places!