[BCNnet] Exposed: Mass Audubon's financial interest in Cape Wind

Bjdurk at aol.com Bjdurk at aol.com
Tue Aug 31 15:01:25 CDT 2010

_http://bjdurk.newsvine.com/_news/2010/08/31/5010978-exposed-mass-audubons-f
inancial-interest-in-cape-wind-_
(http://bjdurk.newsvine.com/_news/2010/08/31/5010978-exposed-mass-audubons-financial-interest-in-cape-wind-)

Exposed: Mass Audubon’s financial interest in Cape  Wind
Mass Audubon is identified as a Minerals Management Service (MMS)
identified  "Key Partner" involved in the collection of avian data, analysis and
commenting  upon the same in the Cape Wind project environmental review under
the National  Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). NEPA analysis should remain
objective. However,  Mass Audubon offered their "support" for Cape Wind during
this project NEPA  review in their 2006 press release called "Challenge".
“Challenge” condition of Mass Audubon's Cape Wind "support" is agency
acceptance of Adaptive Management monitoring and mitigation (AM). Adaptive
Management is an umbrella term for "monitoring", counting bird carcass and
carcass parts caused by Cape Wind; and "mitigation", attempts to reduce harm to
 wildlife caused by this project. Challenge defines the AM service term,
"beginning at the construction phase and continuing for at least three years
post-construction", and source of funding, "monitoring and mitigation
should be funded by Cape Wind".
U.S. Fish and Wildlife, with purview over the endangered species under the
ESA Section 7 review process, provided their comments on Cape Wind on April
21,  2008 to then Cape Wind Project Manager of MMS on the draft
environmental impact  statement (DEIS): "The current framework that MMS is proposing
would forgo  refinement of pre-construction study protocols and set in motion
an adaptive  management process that would be doomed to failure because
effective techniques  to perform post-construction monitoring simply do not
exist."
Comparing similar AM contracts, and based on the duration of the term
expressed in “Challenge”, the condition of Mass Audubon’s "support" for Cape
Wind has a value of approximately $8 million dollars. Yet, U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service comments to MMS challenge Mass Audubon's "support" condition
of  Cape Wind is "doomed to failure".
Confirming their financial interest in the outcome of the Cape Wind
permitting process, Mass Audubon issued a June 25, 2010 press release stating
that they will, “continue to analyze and report on Cape Wind through”,  “EMS
adaptive management plan; and 4. Avian monitoring and mitigation plan
implementation during the construction and three year post-construction phases  of
the project."
Mass Audubon's February 23, 2005 comments on the Cape Wind DEIS to then
Cape  Wind project manager state: "By utilizing other bird mortality data
provided  in the DEIS, Mass Audubon staff scientists arrived at avian mortalities
that  ranged from 2,300 to 6,600 collision deaths per year."
Mass Audubon’s supports Cape Wind despite their staff scientists’
estimation  the project will cause up to 6,600 avian mortalities per year. U.S. Fish
and  Wildlife Service comments suggest Cape Wind represents immitigable
harm to  endangered and migratory wildlife. Interior Secretary Salazar has
vowed that  Best Science will form the basis of decisions regarding federal
actions.  However, the Cape Wind Record of Decision incorporates Mass Audubon’s
bias,  "support" for Cape Wind, in which Mass Audubon has expressed
financial interest  by their stated intent to implement the AM service, "funded by
Cape  Wind".
Barbara Durkin of Northboro, MA 01532 Telephone: (508) 612-4133
Supporting evidence:
_http://bjdurk.newsvine.com/_news/2010/03/21/4046167-mass-audubon-condition-
of-support-for-cape-wind-spells-bias_
(http://bjdurk.newsvine.com/_news/2010/03/21/4046167-mass-audubon-condition-of-support-for-cape-wind-spells-bias)

Responding to Mass Audubon press release below:
 (javascript:void(window.print()))
 (javascript:history.back(1))
____________________________________
Updated Statement on  Cape Wind
Inaccurate statements have been made regarding Mass Audubon’s  position on
the proposed Cape Wind project. We provide the following  information to
clarify and reaffirm our position.
Mass Audubon supports the Cape Wind project as an important  component of
the responsible development of clean, renewable energy  to prevent the worst
effects of climate change. More information can  be found in Mass Audubon’s
_Final Position on The Cape Wind Energy Project_
(http://www.massaudubon.org/PDF/capewind/cape_wind_position_20100624.pdf) ,  released on June 24,
2010.
Mass Audubon has never requested, accepted, or been promised  financial
remuneration in exchange for its support for Cape Wind. We  independently
raised funds to pay for our research. As part of the  public comment process,
Mass Audubon provided our results to the  relevant local, state, and federal
government agencies. Those who  have alleged that Mass Audubon received funds
from the project  developers of Cape Wind in exchange for our support for
the project  have provided no evidence to support their claim; the allegation
is  false. Mass Audubon has received no funding from the developers of  Cape
Wind nor has the organization received any funding from the  project’s
opponents. Mass Audubon has no past or present contractual  relationship with
the developers of Cape Wind nor will we in the  future. Our independence and
objectivity remain irreproachable.
Our support for the Cape Wind project is based on  our extensive, thorough,
and independently funded avian research,  begun in 2002 at the proposed
project location. We conducted these  studies using sophisticated technologies.
Read the results of our _avian research in Nantucket Sound_
(http://www.massaudubon.org/wind/avian_research.php) .
After this extensive research and our review of data and analysis  of
offshore wind energy projects in Europe, Mass Audubon concluded  that Cape Wind
would not pose an  ecologically significant threat to the birds and
associated marine  habitat of Horseshoe Shoal and Nantucket Sound. Mass Audubon will
continue its independent analysis of the Cape Wind project as part  of the
public comment process.
Read _more_ (http://www.massaudubon.org/wind)  regarding  Mass Audubon’s
position on Cape Wind and wind energy.