[BCNnet] If Chicago gets Olympics, road cycling, Mt biking in Madison

casresearch at comcast.net casresearch at comcast.net
Sun Jan 18 18:33:34 CST 2009

Besides this article, there was another short blurb (Saturday or earlier?) suggesting switches in some other venues (including Velodrome no longer at Northerly Island, but some of the rowing events would be there).    Of course all this is if Chicago is actually awarded the Olympics.

>From Saturday's Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olympics/1383212,CST-NWS-oly17.article

  2016 Games bid going regional
Madison, Wis., gets Olympic cycling

January 17, 2009
BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter fspielman at suntimes.com

Mayor Daley once talked about making Chicago's bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games a "regional" plan from the entire Midwest. He got it Friday.

Chicago 2016 announced plans to shift Olympic road cycling and mountain biking events to Madison, Wis.

The cycling event would begin on the campus of the University of Wisconsin, head east through downtown Madison and finish in Blue Mound State Park.

Mountain biking would take place in Tyrol Basin, a popular winter ski and snowboard destination sure to challenge Olympic athletes.

Madison is home to one of the nation's most extensive bike trail systems. Trek, a manufacturer of specialty bikes, is also headquartered in the area. Biking events were originally scheduled to be held in the Palos area.

"Chicago 2016 has consistently placed athletes at the center of our Games plan," Chicago 2016 Chairman Pat Ryan said. "Our constituents emphasized their desire for technical and challenging courses. We believe the natural terrain found in Madison will exceed their expectations and make for an ideal competitive environment."