[BCNnet] BCNnet: Rahall's bill to fix Bush ESA gut

Birdchris at aol.com Birdchris at aol.com
Sun Jan 18 17:06:48 CST 2009

Hi,

I think my attempt to send the bill from my BlackBerry wasn't successful.
I'm still taming that tech beast of mine.

Here is the press release regarding the bill. Call or email your House
representative today and ask them to co-sponsor the bill and vote yes when it
comes up for a vote.

Christine Williamson
Chicago/Cook
_birdchris at aol.com_ (mailto:birdchris at aol.com)

FOR IMMEDIATE  RELEASE
January 15, 2009
Contact: James Navarro,  Defenders of Wildlife, (202) 772-0247;
_jnavarro at defenders.org_ (mailto:jnavarro at defenders.org)
Rahall introduces bill to overturn  Bush ESA regs
Defenders of Wildlife applauds the Chairman’s  legislative resolution
WASHINGTON –  Today, House Natural Resources Committee Chairman Nick Rahall
(D-W.Va.)  introduced a resolution (H.J. Res. 18) that would overturn the Bush
administration’s 11th hour attempt to undermine the Endangered  Species Act.
The following is a statement from Jamie Rappaport Clark, executive  vice
president for Defenders of Wildlife and former director of the U.S. Fish  and
Wildlife Service.
“I’m delighted that Chairman Rahall has introduced this  resolution. These
regulations were a last-ditch effort by a near-extinct  administration to
impose the same fate on America’s  endangered species.
“The Bush administration wanted to let federal agencies  in charge of
building highways, dams and other projects decide whether those  projects might drive
rare plants and animals to extinction, without ever  checking with the expert
biologists in the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and  National Marine
Fisheries Service. The Bush administration wanted to let the  polar bear drown in a
sea of inaction by preventing the Endangered Species Act  from protecting the
bears from the threat of global warming. Today, Chairman  Rahall is taking
action to stop this last environmental insult from the Bush  administration.
“We hope that Congress will quickly pass this  resolution, and show America
that change has truly come for America’s rarest  wildlife.”
Background:
First proposed by the Department of the Interior in  August 2008, the Bush
administration changes to Section 7 of the Endangered  Species Act would have
eliminated the requirement that agencies seek advice from  expert biologists
with federal wildlife agencies in decisions about whether  dams, towers, highways
and other projects will likely harm imperiled species.

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)