[BCNnet] Editorial: Indiana Leaders must fight for clean water

Carolyn A. Marsh cmarshbird at prodigy.net
Fri Jul 20 15:12:47 CDT 2007

Indiana leaders must fight for clean water
(http://www.post-trib.com/news/opinion/476107,edit.article)

July 20, 2007

When it comes to swaying public opinion over BP's plan to dump more
pollution into Lake Michigan, a few numbers pose major stumbling blocks for
the oil giant.

They start with the 1,584 additional pounds of ammonia and 4,925 pounds of
other waste the company wants to add to its discharge every day.

Following closely is the company's $22.3 billion it made in profit last year
alone.

Not least of all is BP's claim that it can't find 12,000 square feet to
build the necessary treatment plant on its sprawling 1,400-acre refinery.

There comes a time when Northwest Indiana residents must question why we
should risk Lake Michigan's future to enrich the owners of a British company
who do not drink our water or bathe along our shores.

And there comes a time when we expect our own elected officials to lead the
way.

Watching Chicago's mayor and other Illinois officials call to halt approval
of BP's pollution plan is reminiscent of the battle to save Indiana's dunes
more than a half-century ago -- a fight led by Sen. Paul Douglas of
Illinois.

Despite U.S. Rep. Pete Visclosky's commendable efforts to increase lakefront
access with his Marquette Plan, it took a request from a reporter to prompt
his public urging to do "everything possible" to reduce lake pollution. His
office says he supports a resolution by U.S. Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill., that
calls on Indiana to "reconsider" BP's permit. Such efforts are important,
but aren't enough.

It's incumbent upon Visclosky -- as well as Gov. Mitch Daniels, local
mayors, legislators and other leaders -- to step up and fight publicly,
visibly and without prompting for the Hoosiers who live along these shores.

Yes, BP is bringing welcome economic growth here. But other issues are at
stake as well.

Too many people have fought too long and too hard on behalf of our Great
Lakes to move backward now.

From: @K.ST Action: REJECT