[BCNnet] Action request from Partners for Parks and Wildlife

Randi Doeker - Chicago rbdoeker at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 11:08:00 CDT 2007

To BCNnet and FPFriends readers:

The Partners for Parks and Wildlife (PPW) group/effort has been successful
in past years in getting conservation efforts through the legislature -
legislative actions that clearly would have ignored or hindered IL
conservation without the intervention of PPW and conservationists statewide.

Here's the latest request for both organizations and individuals.  Call or
email your state legislators. It has made a difference in the past; you can
make a difference for the future.

Randi Doeker

Chicago

July 2007

Dear Partners for Parks and Wildlife member:

A few weeks ago, we contacted you about our proposal to increase open space
funding in the proposed capital budget.  Since that time, we have completed
a number of steps to make iSPACE a reality.

*	The Illinois House, on a 107-0 vote, approved Senate Joint
Resolution 52 calling for $100 million annually in new funding to protect
open space as part of any state capital spending plan.  The measure was
adopted by the full Senate May 30th.
*	The resolution will be delivered to Governor Blagojevich and the
four legislative leaders negotiating a new state budget.
*	70 House members and 16 Senate members signed on as co-sponsors for
the iSPACE resolutions.
*	Dozens of conservation, outdoor and sportsmen's groups called and
emailed their legislators encouraging them to support iSPACE.
*	33 organizations signed on to actively support the iSPACE proposal.

The General Assembly is currently considering a capital budget. It is
imperative that capital funding for open space acquisition to protect our
natural areas and recreation opportunities is included. Once again we have a
chance as a coalition of more than 125 organizations to make a difference in
support of open space acquisition and protection throughout the State of
Illinois.

Please join the Partners for Parks and Wildlife in championing

iSPACE: Illinois Special Places Acquisition, Conservation, and Enhancement
Program

iSPACE will invest in Illinois' future by protecting open spaces for future
generations by providing $100 million annually in a capital spending plan
for conservation programs. These funds will be designated for:

*         A new statewide land acquisition program (similar to the Open
Lands Trust) to protect the State's most precious natural resources and
provide recreational opportunities.

*         Partners in Conservation (formerly C2000) for habitat restoration
and management grants.

*         Implementation of the Hunting Heritage Protection Act by
increasing the amount of land acreage available for hunting opportunities.

Take action in support of open space acquisition funding!

1.       Endorse this effort as an organization. Let us know that we can add
your organization to our growing list of constituent groups that support
open space funding.

2.       Contact your state legislators to ask them to push for the
inclusion of $100 million for the iSPACE program in any new capital spending
plan.

Please join us to protect open space throughout Illinois.

Active Supporters of iSPACE

Association for the Wolf Lake Initiative

Calumet Ecological Park Association

City of Chicago

Chicago Park District

Environment Illinois

Environmental Law and Policy Center

Forest Preserve District of DuPage County

Friends of the Parks

Illinois Association of Park Districts

Illinois Audubon Society

Illinois Environmental Council

Lake County Forest Preserve District

Land Trust Alliance

League of Illinois Bicyclists

Liberty Prairie Conservancy

Lower DesPlaines Ecosystem Partnership

McHenry County Conservation District

National Wild Turkey Federation

Natural Lands Institute

NeighborSpace

Openlands

Partners for Parks and Wildlife

Peoria Park District

Pheasants Forever

Professional Association for Conservation Resource Managers

Quail Forever

Save the Prairie Society

Sierra Club, Illinois Chapter

The Conservation Foundation

The Nature Conservancy

The Trust for Public Land

United Bowhunters of Illinois

White Tails Unlimited

Wolf Lake Initiative

Please indicate your support by completing the following and either reply to
this email or send an email or fax to John Gaudette at Partners for Parks
and Wildlife: jgaudette at ilenviro.org or FAX to 217 544 5958.

______We endorse the iSPACE initiative by Partners for Parks and Wildlife to
provide capital funding for open space acquisition throughout Illinois.

Name of Organization ________________________________

______We will contact our local legislators.

 ______ Please add our name as an active support of iSPACE.

Thanks again.

Questions? Please contact:

John Gaudette, Partners for Parks and Wildlife at 773-252-5955 or

Lenore Beyer-Clow, Openlands at 312-863-6264