[BCNnet] highway signs trapping birds

Randi Doeker - Chicago rbdoeker at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 11:07:38 CST 2007

FYI: USFWS personnel are sending out emails -see below-to bring attention to
a problem with highway signs trapping birds.  (I'll spare you the sad photos
of trapped hawks.)

We can all be on the lookout for signs with holes that might cause a
problem.

Randi Doeker

Chicago

Raptors and Signs

   Thought you might want to alert folks posting signs that care should be

   taken in the use of sign posts and placement of signs to prevent birds

   from getting trapped. We've had some reports of birds of prey getting

   their toes caught in the bolt holes on sign posts.  Stations have

   actually found bird carcasses hanging on to some remote boundary sign

   posts. We don't have guidance in the sign manual except boundary signs

   are to be on the top and the next sign down should allow an inch space

   between the signs.

   A solution for this problem is to put rivets

   (or possibly bolts/nuts) in the exposed holes, preventing bird toes

   from getting caught.

   Deborah Jerome (Regional Sign Coordinator)

   National Wildlife Refuge System

   Southeast Region

   (404)679-7170