[BCNnet] Re: cycling in Olympics - plans and effects

Randi Doeker - Chicago rbdoeker at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 09:01:08 CDT 2006

The lack of action on the future of Northerly Island has been very suspect
for at least a year.

I was told in early 2005 by a CPD official that an outside consultant had
been hired to lead the planning process and that the consultant had been in
their offices gathering info, thus leading the CPD person to think the
process had started. But a month later when I passed the consultant at a
public meeting, he almost, but not quite, denied any involvement. It was
like I had caught him doing something wrong.

Given that the Mayor has to believe that the Meigs situation will be part of
the upcoming election, I would have expected that he would want a beautiful
plan in place to show the electorate what they can look forward to.  Instead
we get nothing.

Based on what I read in the paper, the Olympics plan was put together by the
private citizen planning group.  The people involved have already shown a
lack of respect for nature, or at least don't see it as a part of Chicago.

That said, the plan to put the stadium on the north side of Washington Park
will save the nature area on the south side, which is where the locals want
a festival grounds.  The locals have been pushing for 20+ years for the
nature area to be plowed over and in recent years have been making headway
with public officials. Watch the news for the Wash Park citizens' demands
that the stadium be in the Seven Hills nature area.

The desire by vocal locals to have the nature area turned into a festival
site is so great it is likely to be the #1 topic in the upcoming Aldermanic
race. (Their current Alderman is the one who somehow missed that her
long-time boyfriend is a drug lord.)

Randi Doeker

Chicago