[BCNnet] cycling in Olympics - plans and effects

casresearch at comcast.net casresearch at comcast.net
Sat Sep 23 22:10:10 CDT 2006

I'm sure a few of you have also seen the items below regarding the possible locations for cycling if Chicago gets the 2016 Olympics.

More will come out on the plans shortly I presume, but does anyone know:

1) proposed Northerly Island Velodrome:  I believe all Velodrome bicycle racing in past Olympics has been in Indoor facilites, right?   So I assume the Mayor (or his planning committee) wants a building put up on Northerly Island for this Velodrome?   Even if it will 'come down' after the Olympics, that sure would put a 'crimp' in plans to plan and plant any kind of nature park there outside what is already there, right?    So perhaps all planning so far might be for naught or nothing much done til after the Olympics?   Mayor Daley sure seems to change his mind a lot!   hmmm just like the concert venue is supposed to raise money for the Nature Park or whatever will go there, the money raised in the Olympics will be for the same?   (that's supposed to be sarcastic ... who knows what happens 10 years from now!)

2)  Pair of cycling events possibly in Sag Valley - wonder if they want to put some cross country cycling on bike paths (or off road trails!) in the forest preserves?

Anyone know any details of the two plans yet?

Just wondering!

Alan

http://suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-oly23.html

New bid for Olympic dream
September 23, 2006   by Fran Spielman
In addition to a collapsible stadium in Washington Park that carries a $300 million price tag, Daley's Olympic dream envisions a whitewater slalom course in Lincoln Park, a five-pool aquatic center at the University of Illinois at Chicago, cycling on Northerly Island and rowing in a new harbor south of McCormick Place. --------
-------------- Although Daley once envisioned a "regional" Olympics, there are only two outlying venues: equestrian and a pair of cycling events in Palos Sag Valley and shooting at an Illinois State Police facility in Joliet.
--
Alan B. Anderson
casresearch at comcast.net
Des Plaines, Cook Co.