[BCNnet] RFI: Know any power line habitat?

bobolnk at ix.netcom.com bobolnk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 22 13:52:02 CDT 2006

Dear Chicagoland birders:

As you probably know,  the BCN and Audubon are conducting a Shrubland Blitz this June with the ultimate goal of counting all the shrubland birds of conservation concern in our region and identifying their habitat.

One part of that Blitz is to identify shrubland habitat under power lines that has significant shrubland birds.  Here's the list of birds we're looking for:

Birds of conservation concern identified by Partners in Flight: Bell’s vireo, Blue-winged Warbler, Brown Thrasher, Black-billed Cuckoo, Eastern Kingbird, Eastern Towhee, Field Sparrow, Golden-winged Warbler, Lark Sparrow, Loggerhead Shrike, Northern Bobwhite, Orchard Oriole, Prairie Warbler, Willow Flycatcher, Yellow-breasted Chat, White-eyed Vireo  Birds of local interest: American Redstart, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Ruby-throated Hummingbird  Bird of concern that can be found in woodland and shrubland:  Yellow-billed Cuckoo.

If you know of a power line with any of these birds spending the nesting season under it, could you send me a quick email with the location and birds?  If you know of some promising habitat, perhaps you've been looking for an excuse to check it out?

Com Ed has expressed an interest in starting some pilot shrubland bird habitat management areas, and we need to find the best sites.

Thanks so much.

Judy Pollock
jpollock at audubon.org
Evanston (Cook) IL