[BCNnet] Fwd: TNR Passes in McHenry County

Donald R Dann donniebird at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 05:43:35 CST 2006

BCN friends,

  Here's the final chapter.  Let me add my thanks to all of you who made the calls and wrote the letters.

  Donnie Dann
  Highland Park/Lake County
  donniebird at yahoo.com

  From: "Stacy" <boglady at mail.owc.net>
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Subject: TNR Passes in McHenry County
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:17:06 -0600

    v\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)  }  o\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)  }  w\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)  }  .shape {   BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)  }        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }              Hi all,

  TNR passed the McHenry County board vote last night 15 to 9.  There were very passionate yet logical and well thought-out statements made by several of the board members (Merkle, Gilman, Hill, Hammerand and Wheeler) who opposed the resolution (in addition to the aforementioned - Provenzano, Brewer, Jung, Munaretto - I hope I got this correct - please don't quote it).  I think they were listening to our letters, etc...!  I personally spoke my three-minute piece at the meeting as well.

  There was an amendment (http://www.co.mchenry.il.us/Common/CountyBrd/MtgDocs/20060117ctybd/011706bd15.2g.pdf) to the TNR program that addresses many concerns, however, as I pointed out in my address, songbirds know no political boundaries and have no vote.  There were only three of us in the audience (my husband Mike, Randy Schietzelt and myself) who opposed TNR.  On the other hand, there was only a handful of pro TNR folks in the audience as well.  Two of them spoke.  At the time of last night's meeting however, I feel the board members had all made up their minds and there was no changing them.

  Several McHenry County Audubon members did write letters, send emails and make phone calls and I'd like to express thanks to each of you on my behalf.  But I'm afraid there just aren't enough of us folks out there (in our county) who care to speak out on this issue or at least to get involved in the politics.

  At this point I can only hope two things:  1) People will somehow cease regarding cats as expendable and 2) Citizens will not hesitate to call animal control to complain when a TNR cat (or any other roaming cat) is offending!  The above amendment does allow for action . . .  However, as was brought to my attention just last night (underlines to follow were there; I added bold & italics):

      Public Act 094-0639  ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL ACT

          (510 ILCS 5/35 new)     Sec. 35. Liability.
          (a) Any municipality or political subdivision allowing     feral cat colonies and trap, sterilize, and return programs to     help control cat overpopulation shall be immune from criminal     liability and shall not be civilly liable, except for willful     and wanton misconduct, for damages that may result from a feral     cat. Any municipality or political subdivision allowing dog     parks shall be immune from criminal liability and shall not be     civilly liable, except for willful and wanton misconduct, for     damages that may result from occurrences in the dog park.        (b) Any veterinarian or animal shelter who in good faith     contacts the registered owner of a microchipped animal shall be     immune from criminal liability and shall not, as a result of     his or her acts or omissions, except for willful and wanton     misconduct, be liable for civil damages.        (c) Any veterinarian who sterilizes feral cats and any     feral cat caretaker who traps cats
 for a trap, sterilize, and     return program shall be immune from criminal liability and     shall not, as a result of his or her acts or omissions, except     for willful and wanton misconduct, be liable for civil damages.
                  (d) Any animal shelter worker who microchips an animal     shall be immune from criminal liability and shall not, as a     result of his or her acts or omissions, except for willful and       wanton misconduct, be liable for civil damages.

  Signed by our Governor on August 22, 2005.
  from: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/94/094-0639.htm

  Scary.

  Thanks to those who helped fight the good fight - for wildlife, people . . . and cats.
  Stay warm, every one,
  Stacy Iwanicki

Donald R. Dann
60 Ravinoaks Lane