[BCNnet] FYI: magazine article about new proponent for conservation

Randi Doeker - Chicago rbdoeker at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 20 09:59:37 CDT 2006

I send this FYI. I assume that the readers of this list care as much about
planet conservation as you do about bird conservation.  I also guess that
few are readers of Fortune Magazine.

So I commend to you the cover story in the recent issue:  The Green Machine
- about Wal-Mart.  You can read it online at

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/08/07/8382593/in
dex.htm .

Given its size, there is nothing Wal-Mart does that is inconsequential.
(It's the largest private consumer of electricity in the US, for example. A
decision to reduce its consumption immediately translates into a measurable
benefit.)  If they can change the buying habits of their customers, they are
influencing 176 million people every week.  And the company is legendary for
its ability to change the habits of its 60,000 suppliers.

You may be like me and have very mixed opinions about the country's largest
retailer.  This article certainly adds another dimension to the debates.

A key point for conservationists is that Wal-Mart is establishing that being
green and selling green products is also good for the bottomline.

Randi Doeker

Chicago