[BCNnet] re: Uptown Peregrine Plight

Alan Anderson casresearch at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 17:02:33 CST 2005

Mary Hennen asked me to send this to BCNnet for her.     Alan
[Alan Anderson, casresearch at comcast.net , Des Plaines]
Dear BCN,

If anyone has any questions regarding the peregrines at the Uptown Theater
(or any of the Illinois pairs) feel free to contact me at anytime.  I would
like to clarify some points regarding the situation.

First, since the peregrines are currently going through courtship and will
probably lay eggs within the next two weeks, it is already too late to do
anything before this nesting season.  The birds are very defensive of their
nesting site and sensitive to any disturbance.  The last thing we want is to
have the birds abandon the building at this time.

Second, the birds are carefully monitored during the nesting season,
especially when the immature birds take their first flights and just begin
to learn how to fly.  Last year (2004) at the theater, the inside of the
building was checked every day during the weeks of fledging to make sure no
birds were trapped inside.  One bird was rescued and released.
Unfortunately, that same bird again ended up inside the building and died.

In my experience, young birds that repeatedly end up grounded have
physiological problems that ultimately cause their death.  (In other words,
despite everything we do to care for them, they die anyway.)  Be assured
that during this nesting season we will continue to check the building on a
daily basis.

Third, we need to keep in mind, in cases where the peregrines are using nest
boxes, the building has the right to decide to remove the box (as long as
the birds are not currently nesting.)  Fortunately, most building personnel
are very enthusiastic about the birds, as is with the case of the theater.
Everything we do to help the birds has to be done within an atmosphere of
cooperation between all parties.

Lastly, the idea of capping the chimney for future problems is a fine one,
but it needs to be pursued during the off season - anytime from August to
February.

Again, if you would like to discuss this further, you can email me at
mhennen at fieldmuseum.org  or call me at 312-665-7718.

Thanks,

Mary Hennen
Chicago Peregrine Program