[BCNnet] FW: taxes & 501c3

Kristen Berry kristen at birdpac.org
Fri Jul 1 19:43:02 CDT 2005

All - There are reasons to be concerned about 501c3 status and
electioneering and lobbying.  You may want to investigate the Tides Center
and other groups that have generated about what c3's can do regarding
electioneering.

The bottom line of course is that 501c3's cannot endorse or oppose ANY
candidate or party.  Period.  The rules that allow 501c3's to scorecard and
participate in voter outreach are tricky and difficult.  Lobbying, and what
constitutes lobbying is a different story, but electioneering is strictly
forbidden.

For those reasons, and more, we started a bird conservation focused
political action committee or PAC - BirdPAC (www.birdpac.org
<http://www.birdpac.org/> ).  You are right when you write that few
conservation groups CAN be vocal about candidates and participate in
elections.  Therefore, we believed that a group that represented bird
enthusiasts was needed to be vocal and engaged and involved with state and
federal elections.

If I can answer any questions please do not hesitate to post to this list or
contact me directly at 202-549-1032 or Kristen at birdpac.org.

Good birding!

kb

Kristen Berry