[BCNnet] FW: taxes & 501c3

Randi Doeker - Chicago rbdoeker at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 08:37:20 CDT 2005

For people not named Donnie, read from the bottom up.

There may come a time when we want a way to be vocal about a candidate. There are so few
conservation groups that can.

I think paying taxes is a small price to pay for that capability.  Instead of giving up the right,
we should be turning our $s into expense-able activities.

Given the new thrust to put wind turbines in the City, which follows discussions about the collar
counties, I think bird conservation would benefit by creating a very detailed map of the locations
that birds use --- for example.

I don't think it would be appropriate to 'test' the 10% rule regarding 501-c-3 politicking.  It
seems like waving a red flag to get an audit.

The least amount of paperwork is as a regular corporation that does not get donations (key point).
(Donations then cause paperwork trails with the Attorney General, even when you pay tax on the
donation.)

  _____