[BCNnet] Time to Make Waves with Legislators re: IDNR cuts

Alan Anderson casresearch at comcast.net
Sun Jan 16 23:44:12 CST 2005

Randi and others have mentioned the continued cutting of IDNR staff.   See
Outdoor Writer Dale Bowman's column from today's Chicago Sun-Times (below)
for an update of what some are doing to try to counter those.    It's time
for us to write our legislators too, as the cuts will certainly affect all
those who enjoy the outdoors in the state - birders, fishermen, hikers,
hunters and many more.    Also see "Second Site" note, in case you care to
share with Dale one of your memories of any DNR sites.

Alan B. Anderson,  casresearch at comcast.net
Des Plaines, Cook Co.;    www.chicagoaudubon.org
---------
Outdoor Notes from Dale Bowman:

SECOND SITE: We will resume running individual memories of the IDNR sites
next Sunday. We started running memories to dramatize what the sites mean to
people as a reaction to the slashing of IDNR staff by Gov. Blagojevich. Keep
the memories to about 150 words. E-mail dale at dalebowman.com  or mail to Dale
Bowman, c/o Chicago Sun-Times Sports, 350 N. Orleans, Chicago, IL 60654.

STATE's RESOURCES DESERVE SOUND ENVIRONMENT
January 16, 2005, Chicago Sun-Times (OUTDOORS)

BY DALE BOWMAN STAFF REPORTER

I remember piling into our 1960 Ford station wagon after my Dad said we were
going to the park where "we drive through the creek.'' He was of course
talking about White Pines State Park near Oregon, where you cross Pine Creek
via fords. As a 5-year-old, I thought that this is one of the coolest things
you could do -- drive across a creek through the water. White Pines was my
first hiking and camping experience, which I still do now some 40 years
later. Now, every time I'm near White Pines, I make an effort to visit the
park and "drive through the creek!''  ---    Letter from Jim Hantak,
Hillside

"Up the creek'' better describes the state of the Illinois Department of
Natural Resources.
Gov. Blagojevich's latest round of staffing cuts took effect at the IDNR on
Friday. The IDNR says it's 87 slots. The American Federation of State,
County and Municipal Employees claims 89 and a drop of "almost 30 percent''
since 2001. IDNR spokesman Joe Bauer said staffing has dropped from 2,300 to
1,710 (25.5 percent).

By any count, it's so bad under Blagojevich that other Democrats are
scrambling to offer solutions.

Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn thinks landfills can do the job. (This is delicious
considering a landfill sparked the state's first-family feud.) Quinn
unveiled his Conservation Initiative, which would be funded by closing the
"landfill gas loophole,'' at the Chicagoland Outdoors Show on Wednesday.

In the short term, state representative Mike Boland (D-East Moline) has
proposed House Bill 214: surplus funds in the Wildlife and Fish Fund would
restore the latest round of staff cuts.

"HB 214 is an important first step in restoring DNR to the level of staffing
and resources that made it a national model,'' said Dave Kelm, coordinator
of Partners for Parks and Wildlife. "If this bill is not passed and these
latest layoffs are allowed to stand, our state parks and our ability to
protect habitat and wildlife will suffer.''

That's already being seen. Education programs are virtually ended at
Illinois Beach State Park and sharply curtailed at Starved Rock State Park.
The site superintendents at Volo Bog Natural Area and Momence Wetlands are
gone. Blagojevich can spout all he wants about not shutting sites down, but
the Spring Grove hatchery is done.

Lack of staff a disgrace:

More hidden but just as devastating is the loss of fundamental office staff.
Licensing is in shambles. Applications arrive days before or after
deadlines. Data compilation of vital waterfowl surveys (vital to the public)
are not getting done because Kathy Thornburg is gone.

If you feel as if the IDNR is sinking, you have the right sense.

Quinn has a history of inventive solutions to tough environmental problems.
He helped find funding to purchase Plum Island from developers. His solution
to fund his Conservation Initiative is ending the subsidy for landfill-gas
recovery. The subsidy began in the 1980s.

Money would be shared:

The estimated $25 million saved annually would be divided 40-40-20 among the
Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (a land conservation program with
4-1 matching federal funding), Conservation 2000 (a broad state conservation
plan) and the IDNR. Use of the IDNR funding would be decided by IDNR
leadership, but Quinn envisioned it as being for such things as maintaining
staffing.

"We have a legislative sponsor [Jack Franks (D-Woodstock)],'' said Marc
Miller, senior policy advisor for Quinn. "We need to draft the language.''

Quinn's proposal may be seen at www.Conservation2005.il.gov.

But Quinn's and Boland's proposals are just lifelines. What we need is a
righting of the ship, a steadier course on conservation, so today's
5-year-olds can have memories like Hantak's.

It's time. To make waves with legislators.