[BCNnet] IL DNR threat to Rusty Blackbird

Robbie Hunsinger redstart1 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 5 13:43:44 CST 2005

It is ironic to me that one of the birds in Jeff¹s letter to the SunTimes
listed as declining over 97%, the rusty blackbird, is one of the birds that
our IL DNR is listing as a target for "controlling" aka killing without a
permit.

This is part of an addition to our IL DNR's nuisance animal provision
 ad rule Section 525.35            under consideration right now at DNR.
I learned of this late in the game and had hoped to get it out to everyone
and then got sick. It could be worth sending a quick e-mail to the address
below even though we are just out of the official comment period.

quote from proposed provision 525.35 IL
   ³         b)        Any person may remove or destroy, by use of a
shotgun, air gun or traps and only on or over the threatened area, any
red-winged blackbirds, rusty blackbirds, Brewer's blackbirds, cowbirds,
grackles and crows when found committing or about to commit depredations
upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock or wildlife,
or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health
hazard or other nuisance, without a permit, so long as they have written
permission from the landowner or tenant.²

One hand doing one thing and the other going in the opposite direction
unfortunately.

Please do what you can- sorry I couldn¹t get this out sooner-

Robbie

e-mail can be sent to Barb Frey
Barb Frey <bfrey at dnrmail.state.il.us>

the full addendum is at this website