[BCNnet] BCNnet: Birders United

Birdchris at aol.com Birdchris at aol.com
Wed Apr 20 13:55:00 CDT 2005

Dear Birders United Supporter:

Since the beginning of his first term  in office, President George W.
Bush has consistently betrayed a longstanding  GOP presidential
tradition of bird protection going back nearly a century to  the
presidency of Theodore Roosevelt.

Supported by a large and  powerful segment of the GOP base, the
president and his key appointees now  aim to repeal both the Clean Air
Act and the Endangered Species Act. In their  view, the nation's
shrinking wetlands, where a high percentage of our birds  nest and raise
their young, are simply irresistibly attractive economic  opportunities
ripe for developmental plucking.

During his first term  in office as well as recently, the president has
made a number of judicial  appointments of people who are bent on
carrying out the administration's  master plan that will severely reduce
the environmental protection of the  nation's birds.

While the Bush administration has waged nationwide  assaults on the
habitats of our country's birds, few of the initiatives will  hurt the
nation's birds and wildlife as much as his support of  corporate
polluters who are destroying the Florida Everglades.

To this  end, BirdersUnitedtoDefeatBush.com has been reborn as
BirdersUnited.com. In  the coming months and years, BirdersUnited will
act as a watchdog over  government actions and policies that impact the
welfare of birds and their  habitats. Soon, we will identify members of
Congress who, because of their  solid anti-environmental voting records,
should be targeted for defeat in  2006.

We urge you to bookmark our site -- http://www.BirdersUnited.com --  and
regularly log in for information of importance to birders who  are
concerned about the federal government's policies affecting  America's
birds.

Is it possible for America's birders to organize into  a powerful
lobbying organization? Of course. Consider the Royal Society for  the
Protection of Birds in the United Kingdom. It was founded by a group  of
Manchester ladies worried about the use of bird feathers in the  hat
trade. Today the Royal Society has more members than the  three
political parties in Britain combined.

Today no politician in  Britain makes a move without calculating the
political consequences his or  her action will have on the nation's
birders. As a united bloc, birders in  Britain could swing a national
election to the party of their choice. In the  U.K., the Royal Society
for the Protection of Birds has assumed a powerful  political position
akin to the muscle of the Teamsters Union in the United  States.

Wake up, American bird lovers. You're the hope of birders  everywhere.

Thank you for your support and interest.

Birders  United

P.S. New Birders United bumper stickers are available free  of charge.
You can order one from the home page of our Web  site.