[BCNnet] Chicago Bird Collision Monitors starting up-volunteers needed

Robbie Hunsinger redstart1@earthlink.net
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:21:18 -0600

--B_3161956878_7720063

Greetings fellow Bird Conservationists!

It is migration season again and the Chicago Bird Collision Monitors are
springing into action.

First of all thanks to all of the wonderful volunteers that are helping us
rescue birds in downtown Chicago. We made 173 rescues this fall alone =AD thi=
with a=20
small route and a small group of volunteers!

I am hoping that this season we can expand our areas of coverage to actuall=
reach the Loop north of the river (north Michigan near the John Hancock),
and also assist more birds around the train station areas near west Wacker.

If you might be interested in helping us please contact me.

We provide training and support for volunteers and we use the team approach
for monitoring .

There is nothing quite like helping these beautiful birds. First of all, it
is amazing to get a look at these birds up close and personal.  But seeing
them transform from stunned little clumps of feathers back into active bird=
ready to take wing is truly inspiring!

If you can go out pre-dawn, go to work a little early and check a route, or
check a site during a break or lunchtime, please let me know. Even if you
can help one day every two weeks or so, it can still really make a
difference!

If you work in the Loop and might be able to do a temporary pick-up of a
bird called in to our Hotline, that would be a great help as well. We often
get Hotline calls in the afternoon and it can be very difficult to get back
into the city to get birds in a timely fashion.

If you drive into the Loop and might be able to transport a bird back out
towards rehab, this would be a great help as well. We still have NO rehab
resources for injured birds in Chicago proper and have to get birds out to
Willowbrook or beyond.

We also could use help with outreach work. Please tell your fellow office
workers that they can save birds by just turning out office lights at night
or by pulling shades. Many people would take care to do this if they knew i=
would make such a difference. Also, if you know of a dangerous building in
the greater Chicagoland area, please let us know. We are working with
managers to make buildings more bird safe- many options are available to
reduce collisions.

If you volunteered last fall and have not been contacted by me, please give
me a call or send an e-mail!

My palm had a melt-down and I am missing some addresses! (Being high-tech
isn=B9t always what it=B9s cracked up to be)

Thanks so much for helping and happy birding!

Robbie Hunsinger,   Coordinator, Chicago Bird Collision Monitors
check out the new website below-
http://www.birdmonitors.net

773 988 1867 cell  (and hotline)

=20

--B_3161956878_7720063

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Chicago Bird Collision Monitors starting up-volunteers needed</TITLE=

</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT>Greetings fellow Bird Conservationists!<BR>
<BR>
It is migration season again and the Chicago Bird Collision Monitors are <B=

springing into action.<BR>
<BR>
First of all thanks to all of the wonderful volunteers that are helping us =
<BR>
rescue birds in downtown Chicago. We made 173 rescues this fall alone &#821=
1; this with a <BR>
small route and a small group of volunteers!<BR>
<BR>
I am hoping that this season we can expand our areas of coverage to actuall=
y <BR>
reach the Loop north of the river (north Michigan near the John Hancock), <=

and also assist more birds around the train station areas near west Wacker.=
<BR>
<BR>
If you might be interested in helping us please contact me.<BR>
<BR>
We provide training and support for volunteers and we use the team approach=
 <BR>
for monitoring .<BR>
<BR>
There is nothing quite like helping these beautiful birds. First of all, it=
 <BR>
is amazing to get a look at these birds up close and personal. &nbsp;But se=
eing <BR>
them transform from stunned little clumps of feathers back into active bird=
s <BR>
ready to take wing is truly inspiring!<BR>
<BR>
If you can go out pre-dawn, go to work a little early and check a route, or=
 <BR>
check a site during a break or lunchtime, please let me know. Even if you <=

can help one day every two weeks or so, it can still really make a <BR>
difference!<BR>
<BR>
If you work in the Loop and might be able to do a temporary pick-up of a <B=

bird called in to our Hotline, that would be a great help as well. We often=
 <BR>
get Hotline calls in the afternoon and it can be very difficult to get back=
 <BR>
into the city to get birds in a timely fashion.<BR>
<BR>
If you drive into the Loop and might be able to transport a bird back out <=

towards rehab, this would be a great help as well. We still have NO rehab <=

resources for injured birds in Chicago proper and have to get birds out to =
<BR>
Willowbrook or beyond.<BR>
<BR>
We also could use help with outreach work. Please tell your fellow office <=

workers that they can save birds by just turning out office lights at night=
 <BR>
or by pulling shades. Many people would take care to do this if they knew i=
t <BR>
would make such a difference. Also, if you know of a dangerous building in =
<BR>
the greater Chicagoland area, please let us know. We are working with <BR>
managers to make buildings more bird safe- many options are available to <B=

reduce collisions.<BR>
<BR>
If you volunteered last fall and have not been contacted by me, please give=
 <BR>
me a call or send an e-mail!<BR>
<BR>
My palm had a melt-down and I am missing some addresses! (Being high-tech <=

isn&#8217;t always what it&#8217;s cracked up to be)<BR>
<BR>
Thanks so much for helping and happy birding!<BR>
<BR>
Robbie Hunsinger, &nbsp;&nbsp;Coordinator, Chicago Bird Collision Monitors =
<BR>
check out the new website below-<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.birdmonitors.net<BR>
</U></FONT><BR>
773 988 1867 cell &nbsp;(and hotline)<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>