[BCNnet] this morning - save clean water and habitat

Judy Pollock bobolnk@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:43:49 -0500

 From Audubon...

FYI - here is updated text of an alert we distributed to chapter leaders
last night , and we continue to disseminate to our key advocates today.
Please let us know if you have any questions or need more information - thanks!
U.S. HOUSE TO CAST KEY ENVIRONMENTAL VOTE TODAY
LATE BREAKING NEWS:  The U.S. House of Representatives will cast a crucial
vote today that seeks not only to reduce our nation's rising deficit, but
would also restore funding for clean water and conservation programs for
Fiscal Year 2005. Today,  the U.S. House will debate a number of
budget-related bills. This action comes on the heels of the House passage
of the budget resolution for FY05 - a measure that unfortunately included
significant cuts in funding for numerous conservation and environmental
programs, such as clean water programs and Land and Water Conservation
Funding. Led by Rep. David Obey (pronounced Oh-bee) of Wisconsin, a number
of House members are seeking to remedy this: they've drafted an amendment,
referred to as House Resolution 685, that will be offered during debate of
the budget enforcement bill.
H. Res. 685 would restore $500 million for clean water programs,
specifically the Clean Water State Revolving Fund (SRF) - a critical
program that provides funding for states to address their water
infrastructure needs. Without added federal assistance, many states may not
be able to help to local communities repair and replace old and decaying
pipelines and treatment plants, and will not be able to ensure continued
progress in restoring the health and safety of America's water bodies.
H.Res 685 would also provide an additional $325 million to protect priority
lands and outdoor resources through the Conservation Trust Fund, which
Congress approved in 2001 as a means of adequately financing preservation
of wild lands, open space, birds, fish and other wildlife, and the
recreational opportunities they provide. H. Res. 685 would increase funding
for conservation programs that protect the nation's most important parks,
forests, wildlands and wildlife priorities. In addition, the measure would
reverse the radical de-funding of the federal Land and Water Conservation
Fund in the recently-passed FY05 Interior Appropriations bill, as well as
that bill's reductions for the Forest Legacy and State Wildlife Grant
programs.
Audubon and our partners in conservation will be working tirelessly to
encourage as many Representatives as possible to support H.Res 685 - but we
really need your help if we're going to win! Here's what we're counting on
you to do:
(1) Please call your U.S. Representative at (202) 224-3121 and urge your
lawmaker to support H.Res.685 as offered by Rep. Obey! For the name and
direct dial phone number of your lawmaker, click on this link now.
<http://www.capitolconnect.com/audubon/mylegis.asp>.
(2) Encourage your group members to call as well! The more calls lawmakers
receive in support of this amendment, the better chance they will pass it!
We apologize for the short notice of this request, and appreciate any and
all help you can provide! Thank you for your on-going support, and we'll
let you know how the vote goes!

Judy Pollock
jpollock@audubon.org