[BCNnet] crucial vote Thurs. for Clean Water and Conservation Programs for Fiscal Year 2005

Alan Anderson casresearch@comcast.net
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:21:50 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0097_01C45970.7AEA4840

I received this notice this evening and thought that members of BCNnet =
might be interested.

Alan B. Anderson
casresearch@comcast.net=20
Des Plaines, Cook Co.

www.chicagoaudubon.org

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Lynn Tennefoss" <ltennefoss@audubon.org>
To: <ltennefoss@audubon.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 4:10 PM
Subject: Special Late-Breaking Alert from Audubon Public Policy =
Division!

> U.S. HOUSE TO CAST KEY ENVIRONMENTAL VOTE TOMORROW!
>=20
> WEDNESDAY, JUNE 23, 2004 -- LATE BREAKING NEWS:  Your Audubon Public
> Policy staff has just learned of a crucial vote the U.S. House of
> Representatives will cast tomorrow that seeks not only to reduce our
> nations rising deficit, but would also restore funding for clean water
> and conservation programs for Fiscal Year 2005.  Beginning tomorrow
> morning, the U.S. House will debate a number of budget-related bills.
> This action comes on the heels of the House passage of the budget
> resolution for FY05 - a measure that unfortunately included
> significant cuts in funding for numerous conservation and
> environmental programs, such as clean water programs and Land and
> Water Conservation Funding. Led by Rep. David Obey (pronounced Oh-bee)
> of Wisconsin, a number of House members are seeking to remedy this:
> they've drafted an amendment, referred to as House Resolution 685,
> that will be offered during debate of the budget enforcement bill
> tomorrow morning, Thursday, June 24th!
>=20
> H. Res. 685 would restore $500 million for clean water programs,
> specifically the Clean Water State Revolving Fund (SRF), a critical
> program that provides funding for states to address their water
> infrastructure needs.  Without added federal assistance, many states
> may not be able to help to local communities repair and replace old
> and decaying pipelines and treatment plants, and will not be able to
> ensure continued progress in restoring the health and safety of
> Americas water bodies.
>=20
> H. Res 685 would also provide an additional $325 million to protect
> priority lands and outdoor resources through the Conservation Trust
> Fund, which Congress approved in 2001 as a means of adequately
> financing preservation of wild lands, open space, birds, fish and
> other wildlife, and the recreational opportunities they provide.  H.
> Res. 685 would increase funding for conservation programs that protect
> the nations most important parks, forests, wildlands and wildlife
> priorities.  In addition, the measure would reverse the radical
> de-funding of the federal Land and Water Conservation Fund in the
> recently-passed FY05 Interior Appropriations bill, as well as that
> bills reductions for the Forest Legacy and State Wildlife Grant
> programs.
>=20
> Audubon and our partners in conservation will be working throughout
> the evening and early morning to encourage as many Representatives as
> possible to support H.Res 685  but we really need your help if were
> going to win!  Here's what were counting on you to do this evening and
> before 11:00 e.s.t. tomorrow morning - the possible time of the vote:
>=20
> (1)     Please call your U.S. Representative at (202) 224-3121 and
> [...]

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV>I received this notice this evening and thought that members of =
BCNnet=20
might be interested.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Alan B. Anderson<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:casresearch@comcast.net">casresearch@comcast.net</A> =
<BR>Des=20
Plaines, Cook Co.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.chicagoaudubon.org">www.chicagoaudubon.org</A></FONT><=
/DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV>From: "Lynn Tennefoss" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:ltennefoss@audubon.org">ltennefoss@audubon.org</A>&gt;</DI=

<DIV>To: &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:ltennefoss@audubon.org">ltennefoss@audubon.org</A>&gt;</DI=

<DIV>Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 4:10 PM</DIV>
<DIV>Subject: Special Late-Breaking Alert from Audubon Public Policy=20
Division!</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>&gt; U.S. HOUSE TO CAST KEY ENVIRONMENTAL VOTE =
TOMORROW!<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; WEDNESDAY, JUNE 23, 2004 -- LATE BREAKING NEWS:&nbsp; Your =
Audubon=20
Public<BR>&gt; Policy staff has just learned of a crucial vote the U.S. =
House=20
of<BR>&gt; Representatives will cast tomorrow that seeks not only to =
reduce=20
our<BR>&gt; nations rising deficit, but would also restore funding for =
clean=20
water<BR>&gt; and conservation programs for Fiscal Year 2005.&nbsp; =
Beginning=20
tomorrow<BR>&gt; morning, the U.S. House will debate a number of =
budget-related=20
bills.<BR>&gt; This action comes on the heels of the House passage of =
the=20
budget<BR>&gt; resolution for FY05 - a measure that unfortunately=20
included<BR>&gt; significant cuts in funding for numerous conservation=20
and<BR>&gt; environmental programs, such as clean water programs and =
Land=20
and<BR>&gt; Water Conservation Funding. Led by Rep. David Obey =
(pronounced=20
Oh-bee)<BR>&gt; of Wisconsin, a number of House members are seeking to =
remedy=20
this:<BR>&gt; they've drafted an amendment, referred to as House =
Resolution=20
685,<BR>&gt; that will be offered during debate of the budget =
enforcement=20
bill<BR>&gt; tomorrow morning, Thursday, June 24th!<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; H. =
Res. 685=20
would restore $500 million for clean water programs,<BR>&gt; =
specifically the=20
Clean Water State Revolving Fund (SRF), a critical<BR>&gt; program that =
provides=20
funding for states to address their water<BR>&gt; infrastructure =
needs.&nbsp;=20
Without added federal assistance, many states<BR>&gt; may not be able to =
help to=20
local communities repair and replace old<BR>&gt; and decaying pipelines =
and=20
treatment plants, and will not be able to<BR>&gt; ensure continued =
progress in=20
restoring the health and safety of<BR>&gt; Americas water =
bodies.<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; H. Res 685 would also provide an additional $325 million to=20
protect<BR>&gt; priority lands and outdoor resources through the =
Conservation=20
Trust<BR>&gt; Fund, which Congress approved in 2001 as a means of=20
adequately<BR>&gt; financing preservation of wild lands, open space, =
birds, fish=20
and<BR>&gt; other wildlife, and the recreational opportunities they=20
provide.&nbsp; H.<BR>&gt; Res. 685 would increase funding for =
conservation=20
programs that protect<BR>&gt; the nations most important parks, forests, =

wildlands and wildlife<BR>&gt; priorities.&nbsp; In addition, the =
measure would=20
reverse the radical<BR>&gt; de-funding of the federal Land and Water=20
Conservation Fund in the<BR>&gt; recently-passed FY05 Interior =
Appropriations=20
bill, as well as that<BR>&gt; bills reductions for the Forest Legacy and =
State=20
Wildlife Grant<BR>&gt; programs.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Audubon and our =
partners in=20
conservation will be working throughout<BR>&gt; the evening and early =
morning to=20
encourage as many Representatives as<BR>&gt; possible to support H.Res =
685&nbsp;=20
but we really need your help if were<BR>&gt; going to win!&nbsp; Here's =
what=20
were counting on you to do this evening and<BR>&gt; before 11:00 e.s.t. =
tomorrow=20
morning - the possible time of the vote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20
(1)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Please call your U.S. Representative at =
(202)=20
224-3121 and<BR>&gt; urge your lawmaker to support H.Res.685 as offered =
by Rep.=20
Obey!&nbsp;&nbsp; For<BR>&gt; the name and direct dial phone number of =
your=20
lawmaker, click on this<BR>&gt; link now.&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"http://www.capitolconnect.com/audubon/mylegis.asp">http://www.cap=
itolconnect.com/audubon/mylegis.asp</A><BR>&gt;=20
&lt;<A=20
href=3D"http://www.capitolconnect.com/audubon/mylegis.asp">http://www.cap=
itolconnect.com/audubon/mylegis.asp</A>&gt;=20
.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; (2)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Encourage your chapter =
members to=20
call as well! The more calls<BR>&gt; lawmakers receive in support of =
this=20
amendment, the better chance they<BR>&gt; will pass it!<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
We=20
apologize for the short notice of this request, and appreciate =
any<BR>&gt; and=20
all help you can provide!&nbsp; Thank you for your on-going =
support,<BR>&gt; and=20
we'll let you know how the vote goes!<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20
<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0097_01C45970.7AEA4840--