[BCNnet] Dog area proposed for FP land near River Grove

Anderson, Jill JA@psych.uic.edu
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:14:05 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C44985.CAF13560

Hi Dennis,
This latest site requested by West CookDog group is, indeed, a remnant of
the Deep Tunnel Construction Project and the area was significantly degraded
by blasting, digging, and limestone storage.
The West Cook Dog Group stated at the FPDCC board meeting yesterday that
they hope to have the area restored and replanted with native trees and
plants prior to having it designated as a DFA, however.
I am replying to your post to provide you with updated info on Miller
Meadow. There is no longer a limestone "mountain" at Miller Meadow.
Earthworks was hired by the FPDCC last year to remediate the Deep Tunnel
damage. They spent considerable time repairing the fenceline and creating a
wall of dirt within the perimeter of the fence. The end result was that
noone could view the remediation work from outside the fence.
I spoke to an Earthworks project manager who shared his plan to spread a
layment of clay across the entire area within the fence. I asked about the
wetland areas, which support water birds including diving ducks and
shorebirds, and he told me their plan was to fill it all in with clay. I was
alarmed, and called Chris Merenowicz last July. CM told me that the revised
plan was to retain the small lake within the remediation area.
I was told that the property would be returned to the public once the
remediation work was completed.
A month ago, prior to the monsoons, I caught glimpses of the "lake" area by
standing on a rise on the eastern end of the preserve, where there is a
breach in the berm. The wetlands had all been filled in with clay and there
was no "lake". I wrote to Chris Merenowicz about it, but he has not replied
to my letter.
The area of Miller Meadow outside of the fence usually has standing water on
the eastern side (and in other parts of the "wet meadow") at this time of
year. I am not able to access my "former-lake viewing area" due to recent
flooding. The "lake" was a year-round fixture, and did not dry up during
drought. I have my fingers crossed that nature has reclaimed some of the
wetland areas, for at least the time being. If you visit the site, I'd be
interested in hearing your opinion regarding the ecological value of the
remediation. We had 2 dickcissels singing inside the fence last Spring, just
before remediation started.
Jill Anderson
River Forest