[BCNnet] PLEASE RESEND RESPONSES -Bird data needed - Chicagoland area

Judy Pollock bobolnk@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 02 Jun 2004 12:13:25 -0500

Yikes! Somehow, every message I received over the weekend vanished from my
computer.  If you responded to me about the message below, I didn't get
it.  Could you please resend your message?   Thanks!

Judy

Killdeer families running around, the grating noise of baby starlings
emanating from air conditioner covers, the first cottonwood seeds floating
through the air, the last few warblers flitting through - it all means only
one thing - the best time of the birding year is almost here!

Soon, many of us will be climbing into our finest permethrin-wear to enjoy
the great pleasures of BREEDING SEASON MONITORING - discovering those noisy
holes full of woodpeckers, watching gnatcatchers gather spiderwebs for
their nests and common yellowthroats skylarking above a meadow, listening
at a marsh for the whinny of a sora or the pumping of a bittern - nothing
beats it.

If you want a spot to call your own in the Chicago Region, we'd love to
help you find one.  You can do a point count or just a simple checklist as
you do in the spring count.   Soon, you may find yourself an important part
of the team making habitat management decisions at that site.  Our region
is full of sites whose birds need "guardian angels."

And if you're a "rolling stone" kind of birder, we can really use your data
too.  We are eager to get checklists from all the birding hotspots in the
Chicago Region - all you need is the list of birds you saw, their number,
and the amount of time you spent.

I hope you'll consider contributing some data to the BCN Census, one way or
the other, this summer.  All the information you need to get started is on
our BCN website - lists of hotspots, monitoring protocols and forms, dates,
contact information, and a link to the reporting website.  You can report
your data on line or mail or fax in a form.  The web address is
www.bcnbirds.org - follow the link to the BCN Census.

You may want to explore the database we've amassed - we think you'll find
it quite impressive.  We have over 80,000 records - 14 years worth in Cook
County, 10 years in DuPage, and 5 years for the other counties around
Chicago.  You can make maps and graphs by site, species, date... lots of
good information.  One caution - you get a lot more data by using the map
to choose a site rather than the hotspot feature.  Hopefully that will
change as more people get in the habit of entering their checklists in to
the site.

The list of accomplishments by bird monitors and constructive use of the
BCN database is very long, and always growing.

  If you are already a monitor, look for an info packet in the mail this
weekend.  If you'd like to join us, please contact us.  If you're unsure or
not so interested, how about giving us just one checklist this June?

Thanks!

Judy Pollock on behalf of the BCN Census committee

Judy Pollock
bobolnk@ix.netcom.com
Evanston (Cook)