[BCNnet] OSLAD and NAAF Update

Donald Dann donniebird@yahoo.com
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 15:46:51 -0500

Hi BCN friends;

The following message gives you an update of how things stand.  Your efforts
in writing and calling legislative leaders have been extremely helpful (so
far) in at least partially reversing the governor's decision to force a
holiday for open space and natural areas protection.

Donnie

Donald R. Dann
Highland Park/Lake County

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Kelm [mailto:davekelm@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 2:51 PM
To: Openspace (E-mail)
Subject: [openspace] PPW Update

Good afternoon -

Some of you may be wondering where we are at in our on-going struggle to
protect the OSLAD/NAAF funding and the dedicated funding for these programs.
And, you've no doubt seen that the Legislature did not pass a budget by
yesterday's deadline.  It will now take a 3/5ths vote to pass anything and
that adds another hurdle to clear in order to pass a budget.

What we know right now is that funding for OSLAD/NAAF exists in both the
budget plans passed by the House and the Senate.  As of right now it appears
that the funding for both programs is fully (or close to fully )funded in
the House version.  The Senate budget appears to include about 50% funding
for OSLAD/NAAF.

Thus far in the process there has not been much discussion in terms of the
revenue or implementation which will be important for PPW given the
dedicated funding source of the Real Estate Transfer Tax.  Clearly, the
Governor's Office has expressed their interest in eliminating a number of
the dedicated funds and has continued to seek a "holiday" for the OSLAD/NAAF
funding.

The General Assembly has now ended business for the day and told members
that they could be called back with 24 hours notice.

We will keep you informed as we gather information and, of course, rely on
your hard work when the time is needed to keep OSLAD/NAAF in the negotiated
budget the will emerge sometime in the future.

Thanks!