[BCNnet] Finding common ground

Birdchris@aol.com Birdchris@aol.com
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:05:02 EST

-------------------------------1075176302

Unfortunately I had to miss the BCN meeting on Saturday because of an
Illinois Chapter Sierra Club meeting which I could not skip, but I understood from
Bob Fisher when I saw him at (absolutely freezing cold but we saw the Harlequin
Duck) Hammond Marina on Sunday that BCN member groups were in agreement that
the Beck Lake Fence Off dog area idea is a bad one because it excludes general
access.

Jane is trying to make the point that all fence-offs are a bad idea if they
exclude the general public and I think most would agree with her. COS's
recommendations don't take a stand on fences either way - just that the area be open
to all (fenced or not) and that plenty of signage makes it clear that
off-leash dogs are in the area. Personally, I don't think fences are necessary or
desirable, but they don't have much impact on birds one way or another and if
anything, make nice perches for territorial birds, for perch hunters and for hawks
(which like to use fences to chase prey birds up against for easier catching).

Christine Williamson
Chicago/Cook
birdchris@aol.com

In a message dated 1/24/2004 11:17:00 AM Central Standard Time,