[BCNnet] FPDCC Public Land Use (incl. DFAs)

Anderson, Jill JA@psych.uic.edu
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:35:15 -0600

Chris W has questioned the efficiency of birders debating dogpark issues
that are unrelated to habitat and species protection.
I'd like to take her point further, and question the efficacy of focusing on
dogparks, rather than the underlying issues related to the planned use of
FPDCC land.
The DFA issue is a symptom of a problem, and it's more efficacious to focus
on the problem rather than the symptom. It would be far less contentious, as
well!
We should refrain from reducing this to a "birder vs. dogowner" issue,
despite the fact that a DFA was the lightning rod for the current debate.
The problem has presented itself with different symptoms in the past
(parking lots to gun ranges), and the problem will continue with different
symptoms in the future, without the creation of land use guidelines.
It is my hope that we can influence the creation of these guidelines by
maintaining our focus on the FPDCC's mission to preserve, protect and
restore natural lands.
In November, the FPDCC called for a halt to consideration of additional DFAs
until the Beck Lake project could be evaluated. In November, they felt this
would be accomplished by March. According to Randi's recent post, the time
frame has been extended.
I am distrustful of "political time" because I don't understand it.
When I contacted Richard Newhard, Resource Director for the FPDCC in
September, he assured me he knew of no plans for a DFA in Thatcher. Six
weeks later, I was told "that train had already left the station" and I
should not fight the DFA proposal. A meeting with a commissioner scheduled 2
weeks in advance had to be canceled, but an effort was made to reschedule it
with 1 day's notice. Although it is a different political entity, the IL
Port Authority asked us to wait for public hearings to voice opposition on
their proposed Marina. When efforts were then made to push it through
without public input, an Army Corps of Engineers Project leader screamed at
me for "waiting until the last minute" to voice my concern.  So when is a
good time? I certainly don't know and I won't waste energy trying to figure
it out. But I will write letters, now and later!
I hope all of us will contribute as we are able, when we are able, and that
we find common ground to defend. The Forest Preserve is a good place to
start.
While well-written, I believe the COS DFA proposal would better serve the
goals of the birding community if it were reworked to reflect the overall
land use issue, rather than specifically focusing on dog parks.
I have already admitted a lack of comprehension for "political time" so I
won't offer an opinion as to whether COS has enough time to withdraw their
proposal for revision, or if BCN can afford to delay a vote on 1/24.
But as I see it, the issue really isn't about dogs.

 Jill Anderson
River Forest